Reload this Page >

San Fran Restaurants - Your thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:05 AM
RnR

I would appreciate reactions, ideas - I already have dinner reservations at Chapeau, Aqua and Frascati.

For lunches, Plouf and Eos, and may hit Swan Oyster.

I have one evening free - and considering Zuni Cafe, Jardiniere, Delfina, La Folie. I'm hosting five-six people. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks, RnR

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Susan

All of the places you have selected are great. As for the free evening, each of these restaurants is in a different neighborhood and each is a different experience. I love Jardinere, I would say it is a more elegant dining experience; I also love Delphina's which is a more informal experience in the Mission; Zuni, informal bistro like. So it depends on what expereince you want.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Susan

RnR, I just received an email from opentable.com and there are many great restaurants in SF offering three-course prix fixe lunches and dinners for $19.95 and $29.95 respectively. Some of your choices are included.

I haven't eaten at all you list, but Delfina is one of my favorite restaurants. Zuni Cafe is also very good. As the other Susan mentions, they are in different neighborhoods so it might depend on where you are all coming from. Another I'll add to your list is the Slanted Door. Great fun for a group since you order to share and the food is outstanding.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Susan

FYI Eos is not open for lunch.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM
RnR

Whoops, Eos is not open for lunch - you're right. And they gave me a problem about a reservation - so they're off the list. I think I needed them more than they needed me.

I love Zuni and Delfina too - glad to hear I'm not too far off the mark.

Thanks for your ideas. I think it's going to be Jardiniere - a new place might be fun.

Take care, and many thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Betsy

RnR, check out www.sfdineabouttown.com for the special offers that Susan mentioned above.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Pam

Wow what a trip you have planned! Here's a question..do you want relative quiet for your hosted dinner(s)? Delfina and Zuni are great but can be noisy. I really like the atmosphere and the food at La Folie. (They have valet parking as well!). The Discovery menu will allow you to go any way you want. Both La Folie and Jardiniere will be much quieter (and also much pricier). Plouf is great especially if you like mussels and frites. It can also be noisy. Swan's is a counter but will give you some of the freshest shellfish. I don't think they have more than about 10 seats max at the counter.
Any interest in Dim Sum..especially if you are hosting..check out Yank Sing in the Rincon Annex for Sunday's dim sum (they actually have it all the time). Make reservations especially for a large party. It's fresh, delicious and definitely a San Francisco experience. Welcome to the town that loves to eat!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM
George

Might want to check out chowhound.com. They've got a huge SF board, with a lot of opinions and reviews.