Search

San Fran Questions - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Fran Questions - Advice Needed

Hi All,

We will be traveling to California next week to do some touring of San Fran, Yosemite and Monterey. We are planning on
renting a car only when we go to yosemite and we are renting at the airport location.

My questions are.

We plan on taking Bart to the Embarcadero station and then taking a cab to our Hotel on Jefferson st. (Argonaut Hotel). We are here Saturday and Sunday night, leaving for the Villa Florence Hotel for one night on Monday night. Yes i'm a priceline freak..haha

1.)We depart Tuesday morning at 4 or 5 a.m to go back to the airport and pick-up our rental car.. I am concerned Bart may not be very safe at 4 or 5 a.m. We have two options. A.) Take Cab back to Embarcadero and Bart back to Airport B.) I found a shuttle service that comes to your hotel for $13.00 a person, this would avoid the taxi fee and safety issue but would cost a bit more. Any opinions on this?

2.)I purchased a SF visitor map and I am finding the MUNI map a bit confusing. What's the best way to get to SBC park from the Fisherman Wharf area?

3.)Can someone recommend a good restaurant near SBC park where we could eat after the game on Saturday?

If anyone uses AIM or another chat service and lives in the SF area drop me a line, i'd love to get some advice.

Thanks,

Greg
Atlanta, GA
[email protected]

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
SAB

You don't have to worry about BART being safe at 5 am because it doesn't run from downtown SF to SFO at that time of morning so shuttle is your most cost effective option. BTW why are you going all the way to SFO to rent car?

Re getting from the Wharf to PacBell, you can take the F streetcar to the Embarcadero and either walk around the Embarcadero to the park which is a nice walk or transfer to the N streetcar which goes to the park.

Dining after game around PacBell: Momo's, Fringale, Bizou, Palamino's, Bacar are nearby. I have never tried to dine in any of them on game days so I don't know how busy they get.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM

I would rent a car in SF itself if possible rather than going all the way out to the airport. Why the ungodly hour anyway?

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM

For SBC park try lines 30 and 45. Or line F and a short walk.

Why are you going back to the airport to rent a car? There are many rental places in the city, you must be able to rent a car with an airport drop-off.

If you're going to the airport use the shuttle discount coupons in the tourist booklets, they usually have them in all hotels and all touristy places.

Your hotel choice is not clear - you're coming back on Monday for 1 night before departure? Otherwise it wouldn't make sence to stay 3 nights in a row in 2 hotels, wasting your time on moving from one to another.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I utilize priceline.com by utilizing www.biddingfortravel.com. My hotel stays are 65 a night for each hotel, two nights at the Argonaut and one at the Villa Florence. The first bart shuttle runs at 4:54 a.m the last time I looked back to the airport. The rental car is a convertible via priceline for 35.00 a day but it's at the airport location. My main concern was the safety of Bart in the early morning but I think the shuttle would be the best option. Is walking around at night very risky? I've heard to stay out of the tenderloin, but I like steaks.. just joking.. Any tips are appreciated..
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Hi Greg,

As a native SF who just came back from Atlanta for the first time, I wanted to say what a lovely city Atlanta is. I have stayed at the Villa Florence. Right downstairs is Kuleto's which is good food. I heard Momo's across from PacBell is good. Check out the menu for the Zuni Cafe, it is my favorite SF restaurant. Zagats.com has great reviews of SF restaurants.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Bart is very safe any hour of the day--especially the route you are taking. Walking around at night is safe (both by the Argonaut and Villa Florence.

I think it is kind of neat that you will stay in two places here--one of the great debates is whether to stay in Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf and this way you can try them both!

Acme is probably insanely busy after a game but it is a very decent steakhouse in my opinion!!

Have a great trip!