san fran ferry bldg

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san fran ferry bldg

a poster on this forum stayed at a hotel across from the fb and looked out of her hotel window at 8am on a saturday, and saw the farmers market at the fb teeming with shoppers.

what time does the sat. farmers mkt open, and are all the shops/restaurants also open? a glass of pinot with caviar sounds like a good way to start the day. ;-)
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Here you go:

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

Bon Appetit!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Oooooh kuranosuke! the Ferry Building is my fave. I am pretty sure you will have to do the pinot separate from the caviar, as the caviar bar (i think) only serves champagne or vodka. which is still a nice snack.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I am thinking it was the Vitale.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We were in SF last week for a few days and took a docent led tour of the Ferry Building. It is on Sat at noon and was very interesting. It only took about an hour. Check out the schedule:

http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Have fun,

MY
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Hotel across - may be Vitale or Hyatt Embarcadero.

Sinbad is a nice place to have a non-crowded lunch with a view. It's not in the building, to the right of the Ferry if you're facing it, and on the water.

I am sorry, but caviar can't be good with wine. Vodka, perhaps?

Oh, I've heard of a new place in Yerba Buena, some insternational tea house, they serve different style of teas, including russian samovar with caviar.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hello kuranosuke,
I go to the Saturday market at the Ferry Building Plaza regularly. It's my source for herbs, vegetables and salad greens. The earlier you go, the better. After 9:00 a.m. or so it gets crowded. I usually arrive between 7:45 and 8:00 a.m. and it's bustling but comfortable. At that hour, you might see chefs and buyers from well-known S.F. restaurants snapping up seasonal specialities. I usually grab an apple turnover and a cup of coffee and walk around seeing what's what before starting to buy. My favorite suppliers are Marquita Farms, StarRoute Farms, and DirtyGirl Farm.

I think the Wine Merchant place opens fairly early - I've certainly seen people imbibing and nibbling at cheese platters around 10 in the morning. BTW the market in winter months is much more about vegetables than fruit - kale, broccoli rabe, baby lettuces and chicories. If you are going this weekend, it will be quite chilly by S.F. standards so wrap up well.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I LOVE the Ferry MArket too...

Sat Market both the outdor and indoor vendors are open . Outdoor vendors have such wonderful breakfasts from famous restaurants..crepe stand is fabulous...
and teh fruit and veges..sure wish I could live across the street...

French yoghurt stand in front near main entrance outdoor vendor..absolutley best yoghurt..

Inside Miette..a french pastry shop..you can order little flavored merene cookies..just like France, Pistachio and chocolate...bet you can't have just one..Scharffenberger chocolate and lunch at the Slanted Door. Mk resv early at Slanted Door then go walk about...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM

p.s. I didn't know you could do this, but Kal said he did: He went to the Ferry Building Wine Merchant and the people in his party were drinking red AND white. So he went to the nearby Cowgirl Creamery store and said, "Here's $50! Here's what we're drinking! Gimme some cheese to go with that!" (I'm paraphrasing.) Well, the guy starts filling the bag with a ton of different cheeses, so Kal told him to stop--how much was it? About $30. So he said that was more than enough, just get some bread. So it sounds like you can literally have your fill (and more) for a reasonable price at the Ferry Building. Daaaang! I wish I were there to help you choose!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Kuranosuke: It's the Hotel Vitale with the restaurant Americano that overlooks the farmers market on Tues and Sats, I think you'd rather get a room facing the waterfront, you can always sample thru the FM and drink/nibble thru the FB.

Start the day with caviar/pinot? I didn't know you partied all night and got up at noon. When will you be in SF?

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

wow, lots of great info.

betsy, thats for the website. now, i must change from a soft roll-on to a medium size hard luggage to store all the items i plan to bring back.

melissa and faina, maybe you're right. need to have vodka with the caviar, but i have to be sure i don't get too wiggly so early in the morning.

michelle, thanks for the info on the docents. i might be too wiggly by then to take a tour.

dovima, thanks for the info on your favorite spots, and for the advice on the weather.

1jar, thanks for the info on all the good breakfast and dessert places.

pam, thanks for the hotel name, maybe i'll stay there next time.

melissa, have you ever brought anything back home that was confiscated by the ag people? such as fresh produce, cheese, etc. or do you just not declare them, and take your chances..lol.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM

kuranosuke,

when are you going? a little ciroc and caviar in the morning....great way to start the day!

Aloha!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM

ha ha! To be honest, I've never had anything confiscated, but next time we GTG I will tell you about my "skirting the customs" techniques, which will require Mrs. Kuranosuke to wear a low-cut blouse. I don't think domestic cheese is a problem, though. I used to buy one or two bottles of wine and/or olive oil to bring home in my carryon, but with the new TSA rules, that is impossible. And of course I don't trust to pack it in my suitcase.

Speaking of GTG, you might want to meet up with Shanghainese and do some Asia board talk, get all wiggly...hahaha And Faina just to get wiggly, period. Maybe Faina can show you how to do a vodka shot just right! Don't forget, Slanted Door is there too.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM

hawaiiantraveler: Breakfast of champions, no????
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Mels: Come on, I'm no US big city gal, don't get wiggly till I eat chicken paws, and the to die for shaking beef at Slanted Door. Tried to make the beef myself, it won't shake!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

ht, ah yes, my favorite vodka, ciroc and a flight of caviar..sounds good. leaving thur nite. bought these tkts long ago planning to see the 49ers playoff game at candlestick, but guess what......

not, just kidding. got a good ua fare of $278.50 all in, so decided it was too good to pass up. almost same fare that mwr got coming to hi.

no chicken feet for this boy. raw sea urchin, yes!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM

k
great price for the tix.
you can keep the uni nigiri i'll take the chicken feet anytime
have fun!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM

oooh la la..last weekend we enjoyed a petite vacance in the city we love! We headed over to the Ferry Bldg and shopped the market. We picked up our favorite preserves(apricot and reminds us of Tuscany) at the Montepulciano market(always open). We had lunch at Hog Island-DIVINE! Those Kumomoto oysters are to die for!