San Fran at Thanksgiving

Search

San Fran at Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Fran at Thanksgiving

We are two senior citizens from Connecticut planning to spend Thanksgiving week visiting our son in SF. He and his wife will be busy at work for 3 or 4 days. Any ideas on how we should amuse ourselves on our own? My husband is 80 and doesn't have much stamina for long walks. We will be staying in a friend's house in Bernal Valley.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Hello Windsorite,

I'm assuming that the neighborhood you will be in is actually Bernal Heights.

Bernal Heights borders the outer edge of the Mission District. It is definitely not on the usual tourist track.

How about the Asian Art Museum, in its new digs at Civic Center? It's a short walk from the BART station and has a nice cafe.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Another thought, if you will be using BART. You can take BART to the Embarcadero station. Get off and slowly head east. Across the Embarcadero is the Ferry Building. Restaurants (and very nice clean restrooms), farmer market, and also when you go through the Ferry Building to the back you both could sit outside and enjoy seeing the SF Bay, the boats etc. Now of course who knows what the weather would be like. But if it is a decent day weather wise that might be an enjoyable excursion for you.

Or perhaps taking a taxi to North Beach and slowly enjoying visiting there. Lots of restaurants, cafes etc. so it would be easy to stop when the need calls for it for coffee, espresso etc. Taxi's are easy to catch from North Beach but if you don't see one sure the restaurant/cafe will take care of this for you. Very friendly caring people there.

Do have a beautiful trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for some great ideas. I do love art museums. I guess it is Bernal Heights where we are staying dovima. My son lives in Noe Valley - hence the confusion.

BTW my message doesn't come up when I search for San Francisco. Is that because I wrote San Fran in my subject line?
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Your posting comes up if you type in "San Fran".

I think that you might want to get a City tour from one of the smaller tour companies that uses vans to see the City. It can be a tough City to walk in, because of the hills.

If you are going to visit the Asian Art Museum, make sure you walk across the plaza to tour our beautiful City Hall!

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM

Windosorite, if you are looking for your post when you come here, all you have to do is click onto your own screen name next to where it says "welcome" at the top of this page. That will bring up all the posts you have made or added to.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM

The Legion of Honor is a lovely museum, not too large, (and has a good cafe.) There are also great views of the Golden Gate Bridge from there if you walk down the road north of the museum. The Museum of Modern Art is located downtown and does have elevators between floors.

You might also consider checking to see if wheelchairs are available for rental at places you may visit as they sometimes are.

Have a great trip!