San Diego Zoo and Beach in OCTOBER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a decent time to go as far as weather and lines go? We will have 2 teens and an 8 yr old. What about as far as swimming goes? Is it too cold in Ocotber to play in the ocean?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Imhpo, September and October are the very best months in San Diego.
The Pacific is always "cold", but we swam off LaJolla on our first Christmas Eve there in 1975.
M
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Mike, September and October are my favorite months here too. It's usually warm to very hot during the day, cooling down after sunset. You'll need a light jacket or sweater in the evening. This is the time of year we can get very hot, dry, Santa Ana winds, although we've been getting more of them year round in the last couple of years.

Few people play in the ocean after Labor Day. One reason is the water, while never as warm as the Carribbean, gets a lot colder quickly. Currently it's about 58F. Last summer I think the warmest was 74F - and that was fleeting!. The other reason most people stay out of the ocean is that there are a LOT fewer lifeguards then. So, by all means play in the ocean if you don't feel too cold, but never go into the ocean where there is no lifeguard.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Those beautiful beaches will be lovely in October - as the others say Fall is about the best time to visit anywhere along the entire CA coast. But swimming -- you'll freeze your you-know-what off. So by all means hit the beaches - but don't plan a lot of swimming.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM
TahitiTams

September and October are gorgeous in San Diego and the water is cooling down but people still go in..just depends on the currents..always swim with a lifeguard present..rip currents are very dangerous..
mikemo..I was swimming on Christmas Eve at LJ Shores in 75.. I was a mere child but I was there!

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM

So TahitiTams, is the water there the warmest in August? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
TahitiTams

Hey trippin..
I have found that overall the water temps are the highest in July/August and most of September..
Depends on if it is an El Nino year and the currents..
I remember swimming at LJ Shores at the end of March and the water temp was 73-75 degrees..very rare but wonderful!
Certain places in SD where the ocean temps vary..