Reload this Page >

San Diego with young children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 03:18 AM
Angie

Hi! We are taking our two young (ages 5 and 7) children on their first plane trip. This will also be their first trip to the west coast. I have gathered from other posts that venturing into TJ with them would probably not be a good idea. We have 5 days in October and we plan to go to the zoo and various Balboa park museums. (We love museums and have taken the children to them since birth!) Are there any other attractions you would say are a must-see for a family? Is Disney worth the trip? My husband and I were in SD once before 10yrs ago while he was stationed there for Naval training. We both loved it and said that ONE DAY we would come back with our children. We only had 2 days together then. We went to the beach and to TJ. Thanks!

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 03:47 AM
loangalsal

We did 5 days in October last year in San Diego with two 9 year old girls and really loved it. Tons of stuff to do there. We did the zoo and Sea World (our favorite thing!), spent some time at our hotel as it had a heated outdoor pool right on the beach. Would have liked to have had time for the Wild Animal Park but ran out of time. We went to the small amusement park on the beach (can't remember the name, but I am sure there is only one!). Drive into LaJolla for dinner and shopping. Shopped at Seaport Village and there was an outdoor concert there, a blues band, and that was a highlight for sure. We visited the Hotel del Coronado, what a wonderful place! Hung out on their beach and had a cocktail there. If you want to see photos of the areas we visited you can look at my photos. I also recommend the Pacific Terrace Hotel if you have not booked yet (or the Coranado for sure IF it is in your budget). Here are the 2 links:

http://community.webshots.com/album/31754765wTwMBqxNtT

http://community.webshots.com/album/31756996TXYaYEdTCB

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:06 AM
Angie

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous pictures! So, it was warm enough to swim in the outdoor pool? Being on a budget, we chose the Comfort Inn, Hotel Circle. I thought it would be a good idea to get the children away from the hustle and noise of downtown for sleep. It too has a heated outdoor pool and complimentary cereal/danishes in the morning. I hadn't considered Sea World, but your pictures make it look like alot of fun. How do you get to feed the dolphins? Do you make a reservation? Thanks again

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:17 AM
Lori

Angie, Sea World is a must. I have not resided there for many years but I understand there is also a Lego Land type of place which would be great for children your ages. Try doing a search in the search column and perhaps some previous posts will tell you all about it. There is so much in S.D. not sure I would travel to Disney. You should be fully entertained in 5 days in S.D. There is also a Harbor Cruise downtown which is 1 or 2 hours. Nice short, excursion around the bay. Very Scenic. Also a trip to the Pt. Loma Lighthouse is a beautiful drive. Please drive to La Jolla. Walk around have lunch, dinner. There is also Scripps Oceanography. This use to be open for touring close to La Jolla. Have a great time.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:09 AM
loangalsal

We did get to use the pool, but if it had not been heated it would have been too cold. To feed the dolphins at sea world all you have to do is buy the fish and be there at the right time. I have been to Sea World in Orlando also, and the one in San Diego is far superior in my opinion. It wasn't that busy, but it was just a month after 9/11/01, so that might have been why. Oh, the BEST food we had was at Sally's restaurant at the Hyatt. It is a nice place and not cheap but if you want one nice dinner out, this would be my recommendation. I am sure you will enjoy your trip. I also agree, Disney should be left for another trip altogether. Have fun! Now you have to post YOUR trip photos when you come back, deal?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:12 AM
sightseer

Legoland in Carlsbad would be another good choice. Your kids are at a good age for the park.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:42 AM
sdresident

In Balboa Park the Nat'l History Museum has a great dinosaur exhibit with animatronic dinosaurs & lots of information. On Tuesdays some museums are free, for a schedule check here: www.signonsandiego.com
If you have not taken your kids to Disneyland or Disneyworld, I would make the drive there. It's about 2 hrs, you can take the carpool lane most of the way there. The park will not be crowded with minimal waits. I have an annual pass and go once a month, drive up & back the same day with my 2 yr old. It is much better than LegoLand. If you don't want to make the trip, LegoLand is still a lot of fun. They have shorter hours in the fall, I think 10-5pm and they are closed Tues & Weds. But it won't be crowded there either. We also love SeaWorld. The shows are fun & you can feed the dolphins, rays & sea lions.
I hope I didn't make your decisions any more difficult. Ask your kids where they would like to go. And have a great time!

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
steve

Legoland is a good choice for kids your ages. At Balboa Park, be sure to visit the model railroad museum. Take the ferry to Coronado. Also visit the old ships in the harbor

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
x

lived in san diego for 10 years and the #1 thing most visitors with kids said is that if they could do it over again, they wouldn't plan so much cause their kids mostly enjoyed being at the beach. i'd recommend a day at the zoo and a day at sea world (it's great). you can work the museums in during one of the other days - probably only need a few hours. i'd save disneyland for another trip. a drive out to pt loma when the tide is out is usually enjoyable for kids.
when you go out to coronado, they may enjoy going by the ferry that leaves from downtown. then you could rent bikes to drive around the island. the beach in front of the hotel is very nice. (don't plan on eating at the hotel $$$).
there is an area in la jolla known as the "children's pool". can't swim there but there are always a lot of sea lions haning out which the kids will love.
don't go to tj.
october is a great month to go.
you say you are staying at the comfort inn to get away from the hustle & bussle...for budget travel, hotel circle is the place to stay but it is right next to a freeway so don't expect a mellow, quiet atmosphere.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:20 AM
Angie

Thank you all for your replies. We are going to take the 'slow it down and enjoy the sights' approach for the kids sakes. I know that we will visit the zoo, children's pool, tidepools and museums although I haven't made my mind up over Sea World. We have a membership to the Tennessee Aquarium in Chatanooga and go regularly. Thank you again for all of your input.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
Edye

Recently returned from a trip to Sd with our almost 5 & 7 year old daughters and they LOVED SEA WORLD. Even having been to our Baltimore Aquarium many times before, this was well worth it. Investigate how you make reservations to feed the dolphins, and even how your kids can swim/play with them, on the sea world website. We also enjoyed the Zoo and spending time on the beaches, but missing SW would be a big mistake IMO.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Cathie

bump

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 10:08 PM
jef

Booking a hotel on hotel circle is like sleeping...on a highway(noise,polution etc...)
Last august i booked the Handlery Resort.A nightmare!