San Diego vs Santa Monica

Apr 20th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

San Diego vs Santa Monica

Our family is planning a trip to southern California and are trying to decide between San Diego and Santa Monica. We are especially interested in spending time at the beach. I'm interested in reading comments on these two areas. Also, which month has the best beach weather? We can travel June, July, or August. Thanks for you help.
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:10 AM

What is the makeup of your family? For families with kids in the mid-teens or younger, I'd suggest San Diego.There are great beaches in and around Santa Monica and there are some kid friendly things to do but there are many more in San Diego. If your kids are older, then it's a harder choice because both are great. The beaches at San Diego are spread out a bit more (Mission Beach and the Coronado Strand are my favorites) but there is so much to do in both San Diego and the Santa Monica area that it would almost be the flip of a coin decision for me?
One of the things we did when my kids were at home was to have each person in the family separately write down the three things they most wanted to do when we were going to be in a particular area and then tried to match the trip to the majority of those wishes. Have a great trip, whichever you choose.
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:45 AM

I second San Diego. Coronado Island has the best beaches. There is more do to in San Diego I think. You have Mission Bay, Sea World, Old Town, Coronado Island, Wild Animal Park and Balboa Park among so many things to do. No one will get bored. The weather is nice there in the summer because it is on the coast. I like late June myself but any month would do. If you stay at Misson Beach you would have a wonderful time. Have fun.
Apr 20th, 2003, 11:31 AM

September is my favorite month on the coast.
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM

July and August usually have warmer, sunnier weather than June. June is when we have our infamous "June gloom." For an extensive discussion of it, please type "June gloom" in the text search box above.

I think it's a toss-up as to which location is better because San Diego and Santa Monica both have a lot to offer vacationers. If your kids are elementary-school age, then I think San Diego might be the better choice because of Sea World, the zoo, Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park, and Legoland. Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm are about equidistant from San Diego and Santa Monica.

If your kids are teenagers, they might like Santa Monica better because of the Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, Montana Avenue, and the proximity to Venice Beach, Malibu and the tourist sites in LA.

Have you considered spending part of your trip in Santa Monica and part in San Diego? They're only a couple of hours apart and if you have a car, you could easily split your time between the two. Also, whether you choose San Diego or Santa Monica, please consider Laguna Beach for a day trip. It's midway between San Diego and LA and has a great beach that you might like.

Whichever location you choose, have a wonderful trip.