Search

Travel to Cali

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to Cali

I would like to take a short inexpensive trip (3-4 days)to California with my 12 year old daughter the last week of June. What city has clean beaches, shopping, plenty of things to do and see and transportation. Would I need to rent a car or can I take trains, buses, trolleys. I would also enjoy the temperature in the upper 80s. Your advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:03 PM

With that criteria, I would head to San Diego, although temperatures in the upper 80s is probably pushing it. San Diego has everything else though - beaches, shopping, things to see and do. I'd probably rent a car, but you can do it without, you will just spend more time getting from point A to point B.

Santa Monica might fit the bill nicely too. Again, don't count on scorching temperatures, but the weather should be nice.

Santa Cruz is a cool town too, but you would definitely need a car for that since there is no airport there. If your shopping tastes are eclectic, then Santa Cruz will have some shops for you. Plenty of things to do and see and some nice beaches.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

June is often very cool in southern California -- not always, but can't guarantee temps in the 80's!
I think Santa Monica/LA would be a very fun place for a 12 year, though you'd have to rent a car. Maybe slightly warmer than San Diego...
If she's a zoo/animal lover, San Diego has good beaches and the zoo and wild animal park.
Renting a car would be the easiest way to get around.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

Hi curryk, I agree withh the SanDiego idea even though it probably will not be in the high 80's.

BTW, when I saw the title of your thread I had no idea where "Cali" was? This is not a nickname for California.

San Diego is beautiful with lots of things to do with a 12 year old. In fact your question reminded me of when I was that age and my aunt took for to SanDiego for several days. It was a fantastic vacation. So I think the two of you would really have a good time. Have a fun trip!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think if you count Baja-California (Baja-Cali?!?) as part of California, you might get some upper '80's, but probably not THAT cali--ente.

I agree with the others on San Diego. It's a great town for kids that age.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:31 PM

Really Loveitaly? I've always heard california referred to as Cali.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

With your criteria and wanting to use public transport I agree w/ the others. San Diego is you best bet.

But maybe you have some misconceptions about California. All those TV shows with pretty young things running on the beach - if there were close ups you would be seeing goose bumps for sure. It is only rarely in the high 80's (or even the low 80's) along the coast and especially not in June. There is often fog and dreary weather - so much so it is called the "June Gloom".

If you want hot weather you usually have to go inland - but then you aren't at the beach.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a beachy vacation - you and your daughter will really LOVE San Diego. But you might need to pack some sweaters to go w/ the bikinis . . . . . .
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM

Leslie: Cali is in Columbia - our amazing state is CALIFORNIA.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but California is just not referred to as "Cali".

San Diego is unlikely to have temperatures in the 80s, never mind upper 80s, at the end of June. Other than that tiny detail, there is everything you want. IMO, a car is a must in San Diego.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM

So when Notorious B.I.G sang a song that said "I'm going going back back to Cali Cali" he was talking about Columbia?! And when 2Pac made a song called California Love and he says, "Cali is where they put they mack down" he wasn't talking about California? Hmm.... I might have to listen more carefully to the lyrics! (Sorry guys, I'm a rap fan! lol)
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM

Not to mention LL Cool J's song called Going back to Cali!

sorry guys, don't mean to sound ignorant or anything, i just have always heard people say Cali when referring to California. I've even heard it from your own Californians. Maybe it depends on where u live.... or what music you listen to! lol
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM

Leslie, perhaps if you lisened to songs which use actual words you might have a better idea.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

oops, listened.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

LOL!! that's funny. I was just trying to make a point, that curryk isn't the only one that has referred to it as Cali before. (I've heard it from normal people, too, not just Rap artists)
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM

Leslie - w/ your logic I assume you call all women the B word or the W word (only they drop the W and only use an H - probably because they don't know how to spell it)

Get real . . . . . .
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:06 PM

So in other words, Cali is a curse word? I didn't mean to offend you, SORRY
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Lived in California all my life and have never heard anyone from CA refer to it as Cali. On this board I have seen people use Cali but it seems like and odd and unfamiliar word, alot like "Frisco" instead of San Francisco.

Don't think I would use rap lyrics as a model for my vocabulary

I totally think San Diego would fit your needs except for the upper 80s part.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

BTW janis, your assumptions are wrong. maybe you need to lighten up...?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM

Sorry, but here are the facts: No one in California refers to the state they reside in (or are visiting) as "Cali". Unless they're trying to sound like East Coast rappers (all the ones you cite are from the NYC area). Then it's doubly irritating.

It's "California" or "CA". Just like my home town is "Long Beach", not "The LBC" or "The LBZee" or whatever the hell Snoop calls it. He's a nice guy, but he's generally baked when he records, so don't look to him as an informant of southern California speech patterns.

We had a similar discussion recently over the "The OC" appellation that's spreading like a cancer through this country thanks to that damn Fox TV show. No one before that show ever called Orange County "The OC". NO ONE. We call it "Orange County". Or "OC". Or "Through The Orange Curtain". And as I live two miles from the OC border, I think I can speak with a bit of authority.

And for the original poster-- San Diego, especially if you are going to try to do this trip without a car. Your hope for temps in the 80s is pretty much a pipe dream in June on the coast, but hopefully it will warm up into the mid-70s.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

OK - no, "Cali" is not a curse word. But to use rap artists (or any music for that matter) as your source of what things are called in "real" life is just silly . . . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -