San Diego Vacation help

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Mike

San Diego Vacation help

Am planning a family vacation to San Diego in June. We have never been to the area and was looking for ideas of must things to see and do. Want to stay near the beach. Any help greatly appreciated

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
steve

You might consider staying at one of the nearby beach towns in north San Diego county. Cheaper, nice beaches. Easy drive to any attraction in the city.

What are the ages of your children

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 11:49 AM
v

definately visit
-sunset cliffs (directions from AAA book)
-sea world
-old town
-coronado island (there are two sides to the island. after crossing the bridge, head to the left side for all the shops and restaurants - that's where some military thing is at the end of that small street. but if you head toward the right, through residential streets you'll end up in an even nicer area, with a small beach, village shops, and a nice grassy area with a coffee stand. very lovely.)
-take the ferry back across to the downtown
-stroll through gaslamp district
-san diego zoo is pretty cool if you like animals. very hilly terrain, and a real workout if you walk the whole thing. a good choice is to take those tram/bus things that give you a tour and make stops at certain locations. also a good way to enjoy the views of the park. very nice esp. if you have kids
-never been to wild animal park... ??
-definately stop by la jolla's cove and beaches to see the sea lions.
-horton plaza is probably not good with kids, it is an outdoor mall with many levels, and is in a bad area...
hope this helps!!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:52 PM
x

what's your budget per night for hotel. big difference between motel 6 and hotel del coronado?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Kim

If your children are young (under 10), definitely take them to Legoland. A highlight for little kids is their driving course. They have the children sit through a quick lesson in driving, and then put them in cars on a course where they need to stop at stop signs and stop lights, stay on the right side of the road, signal, etc. At the end they get a "driver's license".

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Janet

Rent an apartment or condo on the beach in Mission Beach. You have the ocean. the bay, the boardwalk and lots of restaurants. Two rentals places San Diego Vacation rental and Penny Realty.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:16 PM
tim

Just a warning June is cloudy. They call it June gloom and it typically clears up only for a couple of hours a day (at the beach). Must see's are Balboa Park, La Jolla cove and any and all scenic drives along the ocean.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:25 AM
lucy

I suggest the trolley tour to get you around to most of the major attractions. Balboa park is beautiful and sea world a must. Loved Humphreys half moon as a place to stay but the beach isn't good for swimming but the walking is great and the view incredible. Pool area was really nice.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:18 PM
gogoellen

We have stayed in San Diego for at least 5 summers. We love it! Renting a house or Condo at Mission Beach is a great place to stay. Just look online! The bay side is quieter and the beach side a bit noiser. Balboa Park is right there. It is wonderful. We did go in June one year and it was a bit cold! The rest of the trips were in July-August. Take your bikes and boogie boards! You will love it!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:44 PM
sharon

S.D. is a great place to visit, but beware of June Gloom. Usually overcast at the beach til midday.Inland(east of I5 the sun is out) Aug-Sept. are better times to visit. Lots of activities for the family including world famous zoo,sea world, wild animal park boogie boarding at the beach,old town (showcasing S.D.'s Mexican heritage).Good eats at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza restaurant, Roppongi and Fresh for seafood! Have a great trip.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:50 PM
wendy

Do consider another month other than June! San Diego is gorgous, and I would hate for you to see that beautiful sky covered in clouds. I lived in SD for 8 years, and while June gloom is hit or miss some years, I don't think it's worth it to risk your vacation. Wait til July, Aug or Sept. and have a great time!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:11 AM
xxx

Mike I also use to live in S.D. I barely remember a nice and sunny June. Heed Wendy's advice. Visit in July, August or Sept.