San Diego Help

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego Help

Hi everyone
this is my first time posting but not hte first reading the great advise from so many experienced travelers so i hope you can lal help. We are traveling - 2 couples, 11 year old and 3 year old, for one week to San Diego, and need a great hotel, with a nice pool. Its so confusing on what area to stay so any and all info is greatly appreciated. Any restaurant tips or fun things to do would also be great
Many thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Take the Old Town trolley the first day.PAul
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM

The Town & Country Hotel on Hotel Circle is a nice place to stay and, you can walk to a nice mall and the tolley stop from the hotel. Another good hotel, but I can't vouch for the pool, is a Embassy Suites downtown. Almost just across the steet from the seaport village and an easy walk to the Gaslight District and trolley stops. Star of the Sea is an outstanding, but pricey, restaurant on the waterfront. Flemings Steakhouse about 3 blocks away is also exellent.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Will you have a car? This makes a huge difference. I wouldn't miss the San Diego Zoo. It is the largest and the best. I am sure the kids would enjoy. There is also Sea World. There is Lego Land outside S.D. There is Balboa Park to visit with interesting Museums. When will you be going? The time will make a difference. Do you want to be by a beach or boardwalk? If you have a car I would stay in La Jolla. Or in the downtown area, but for scenery La Jolla is beautiful and impressive for a first time visitor.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM

With young kids you will want a low raise hotel with plenty of room to roam. Try the Humphrey's Half Moon resort. You will pretty much have to drive anyplace you want to go, but then that is pretty standard for SD.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replys
We will have a car and all your suggestions are greatly appreciated. As long as there is a great pool i dont think we have to stay on teh water. Lajolla sounds great. I have also looked at the Kona Kai hotel which looked very nice.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yes Kona Kai and Humphreys is close to downtown which might work well. As long as you have a car, then getting around S.D is a snap. Those are on Shelter Island, and close to the airport. La Jolla has an ambiance to it like no other. There are coves, and a wonderful beach at la jolla shores for walking.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM

I'd vote KOna KAi (nice walk path along water, grasy picnic areas and childrens playground (ask for a room toward the ocean channel end of the resort) and teh Red sails Inn is a nice casual restautrant on shelter is as is Point Loma seafoods (watch the harbor seals) and you could go to Old Venice restaurant in Point Loma (crayons to write on teh butcher table paper)or there are a number of fast food, Dennys type places.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM

We were just in San Diego this weekend and Star of the Sea Restaurant is closed. It looks like it is being remodeled or possibly made into another restaurant. Too bad was we used to enjoy it on trips to SD.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM

With young children I would prefer areas other than downtown, gaslamp district or mission valley. La jolla and coronado are great areas for kids. Shelter Island (as some have suggested) is also a nice centrally located area.

If you are in Point Loma or Shelter Island you can't miss Point Loma Seafood for lunch!

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM

re: Cali's posting--

According to a local newspaper story, Star of the Sea will reopen as an upscale steak house.