San Diego Trip with 3 and 1 yr olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 5 day trip to San Diego with our kids who are 31/2 and 11/2.

Seek ideas/input on

1. Ways to save money on entry tickets for Legoland, Seaworld. (Yes, I Am cheap ;-))
2. We are staying in La Jolla, but seek recommendation on things kids would enjoy.
3. Other areas of natural beauty.
4. San Diego downtown attractions.

We do have rental car with us, so any tips on avoiding traffic would also be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance !!!
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM

You will be staying very close to the Scripps Aquarium. Although small, what they have is really great and it's a fantastic place for your little ones. Be sure to take them out to the back patio where they will have little things for them to do and you will have an amazing view.
Old Town San Diego is a neat destination. Your children would probably love the zoo as well.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Buy Sea World tickets online at their website. You can pay a little more ($20 per adult) for a ticket that lasts for 7 consecutive days. You could then visit say 3 times during your 5 day stay but just drop in for an afternoon or just go for a morning and save on eating the junk food at the park. It's a small park and young children usually enjoy it.

Your 1 1/2 yr old is free at Sea World and San Diego Zoo

The zoo is great and you can spend all day there.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM

You can get down to the La Jolla Cove and the young ones might like sticking their toes in the water. There is a lifeguard there as well.

If you want to see both the Zoo and Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park - a 30 minute drive to Escondido) - you can buy a two day - discounted ticket at the Zoo. Check online, and you might also consider joining - a little bit more $ - but it gives you other perks (free bus rides, etc) - and you could go back a couple of times as they also have different shows during the day/evening The Zoo is about 20 minutes from La Jolla. http://sd68.reachlocal.net/nighttimezoo/index.html

And good advice about the 7 day pass to SeaWorld as again, they have a number of different shows - so if the wee ones get tired - you can easily go back - about 15 minutes from most areas of la Jolla.

And the Aquarium at Scripps is not that small. Plenty to see there.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM

As for downtown attractions - I think the best for the family might be walking/strolling along the Embarcadero. Not sure the kids would appreciate the Gaslamp - but you might drive 5th to get an idea.

Here is a page for the various parks in San Diego - and my cousin used to like to take their young twins to the park by Mission Bay/the Hilton - which had some things to climb on, etc.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/embarc...ark-north.html
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Here is a map of Mission Bay Park - and the area I was talking about is just north of the entrance to Fiesta Island - and also along the inside of the Bay by Pacific Beach is a nice stroll, as is along the Boardwalk on the Ocean side.

This is about a 10+ minute drive from the Village of La Jolla down La Jolla Blvd. http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-rec...cilities.shtml
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM

danny9948:

Go to http://www.sandiego.org the official tourist information site for San Diego. Click on coupons for many offers and discounts.

Your children would enjoy time at the beach which is free.

You will love San Diego. When is your visit?

Sandy
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses.

I did buy discounted tickets for a week pass at Seaworld, San Diego Zoo and the safari park through my employee discount program. Saved me a bunch.

We will be there from 2nd July - 7th of July.

Any ideas of where to see good fireworks over the sea/bay. I like photography.

Any more recommendations for places of natural beauty?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM

There are several good fireworks shows - and we usually try to watch the one at Ocean Beach first - and then catch the later one at Seaworld - if they schedule it that way again this year.

They usually also have one by the Cove in La Jolla - but some arse lawyer up the Coast is trying to grandstand and shut that down, and they have one down by Pacific Beach also usually - by Crystal Pier I think.

Check out this page: http://www.bigbayboom.com/
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Actually - the last couple of years - we have gone down by the Embarcadero to watch the 5 barges on San Diego Bay firing em up. Go early to get a good parking space (or check out the shuttles) - and take a couple binkies for the young ones.

http://www.bigbayboom.com/locations/
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM

And for photos ops - check this out from Scripps Acquarium.

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-...HE-NIGHT-LIFE/

Also - driving up the coast - to Torrey Pines Beach and hiking a bit south along the cliffs - could afford some nice photo ops.

And the Prado/museums at Balboa Park have some interesting architecture and the Arboretum and Rose garden also have good photo ops.