San Diego to L.A. with kids

Mar 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

San Diego to L.A. with kids

Hi
We are heading to California in August to explore theme parks and beaches. We have two adults and three kids ages 10, 11, and 13. So far we will spend 2-3 nights in San Diego to see Sea world and the zoo's Wild Animal Park. I thought staying in Mission Bay sounded good. We prefer suites or at least a continental breakfast. Any suggestions?
Then we will drive to Anaheim to see Disney's California Adventure Park and Knotts Berry farm and possibly Wax Museum. Where would be a central location to stay for one or two nights?
Then we will head to L.A. to see walk of fame, Universal and one of the many beaches. Again where do you reccomend staying that is close to everything? We like a spacious room, preferably a suite.
Thanks VERNONHILL
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM

The Movieland Wax Museum in Anaheim has been closed since this past Hallowe'en, and its contents have been auctioned off.

The Hollywood Wax Museum still exists-- up in Hollywood. The likenesses are sufficiently bad that you can make a great game out of trying to guess who they are without looking at the signs. It's harder than it should be.

For Anaheim, if you're really only going there for the theme parks, just stay at Disneyland or nearby. The Grand Californian is wonderful but expensive. The Candy Cane Inn has a silly name, but people love it madly, and its location can't be beat.

For the greater LA area itself, no one place is close to the Walk of Fame (why do people think that's the ONLY thing in this city to see?!), Universal Studios (shouldn't your kids be thoroughly Theme Parked-out by now?!) and the beaches. Check a scale map of the area and you'll see. Having said that, stay in Beverly Hills or one of the nicer hotels on Sunset in West Hollywood and you'll be relatively central to it all. The nicer suite hotels may not allow more than four to a room, but you can certainly check.
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I'd recommend Comfort Suites on Highland for Hollywood, it's a block and a half from the walk of fame and you can hop the subway back and forth to Universal/no traffic hassles.

HotelCelebrity and the Magic Castle Hotel are two others that might have family-sized rooms but I'm not sure they offer the breakfast (a good savings for a group of 5!)
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank both of you. The Magic Castle Hotel looks great. We can get a two bedroom unit and it is reasonable. We are going to skip Knotts Berry Farm and the wax musuem. More beach time.
Thanks Again
Denise
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
ltt

san diegois such a great city for kids their age. i would suggest that you check into the bahia, ocean park inn, surfer beach hotel or the capri. they are all in the pacific/mission beach area which is great for kids and close to sea world.
i would definitly recommend at least 3 nights in san diego. there are also a lot of condo rentals in the area if you don't want a pool.
if you are going to the wild animal park, either go early in the morning so you can go back to san diego to enjoy the beach in the afternoon OR, you could go there on your way to la.
a word of advice...i lived in san diego for 10 years and the one consistant regret i heard from family and friends that visited is that they "over planned". too many theme parks and not enough time just enjoying the beach and the city. enjoy