Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego restaurant choices for a weekend visit

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to San Diego soon for a college tour and are trying to select some great restaurants to try (we are 2 moms and 2 teens, all foodies!). We are staying in downtown San Diego gaslamp district.
Here is what we have planned so far:
Friday night: Ortega's for Puerto Nuevo style lobster. My son and I love Mexican food so it's always a must to get some in on a visit to San Diego. We have not tried Ortega's before but I used to go to Puerto Nuevo in my college days.

Sat breakfast: The Cottage in La Jolla before UCSD tour. I do worry about a long wait at The Cottage in the morning that may impact our tour. Are there long waits on Sat. mornings there for breakfast? Other suggestions, either in the Gaslamp district or on the way to UCSD?

Sat lunch: We are running between USCD and USD, so may just grab a snack at the UCSD campus before we leave. Suggestions? It will need to be quick whatever we do.

Sat dinner: Open ... maybe seafood? We may want to stick close to the Gaslamp district since we may take in a movie after dinner - Anthonys? JSix? Oceanaire .....or??

Sunday breakfast: Cafe Chloe

Sunday late lunch before we leave .. carnitas at Old Town Mexican Cafe or seafood at Blue Water Grill or Pt. Loma Seafoods
What do you think, other suggestions?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM

For seafood near the Gaslamp, I would go with the Fish Market (near the Midway). Good food at decent prices and a great view.

Definitely go with pt Loma Seafood for lunch. Grab it and go to a nearby park on the water to eat it.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM

I like Croce's in Gaslamp.
George's or Crab Catcher in La Jolla as possible lunch before you depart.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Oceanaire is good and has a good happy hour.
Love Cafe Chloe in East Village/Gaslamp
Seafood..I would do Point Loma Seafood for the best scallop sandwich..calamari is quite good.
Brigantine in Shelter Island has excellent everyday fish tacos in the lounge..teens are welcome.
Fish Market downtown at the sushi bar or the oyster bar is excellent for fresh seafood..restaurant downstairs is marginal.
Jsix is good.
Dobson's has the best mussel bisque en croute and great seafood.
Where is Ortegas? Old Town Mex is good for carnitas.
Where are you staying in the Gaslamp?

www.gaslamp.org
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I have never heard of Ortegas...

I do like having breakfast here when we are in the gaslamp - can be a bit of a wait as well though:

http://www.cafe222.com/

George's for lunch on the terrace the day you leave is a great suggestion.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Ortega's is near Hillcrest -141 University Ave. It is run by a relative of the Puerto Nuevo restaurant owners. I found it on Chowhound. If anyone has input on it, I'd love to hear it.

As far as the Fish Market goes, I love it, but I have one near my home so I'm looking for restaurants that I can't get in the Bay Area. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they are going on my list of options.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM

The Cottage will most likely have a wait for breakfast. Well worth it though. Go early and punt if it will take too long.

I recommend having lunch at the Price Center (UCSD Quad) on Saturday. It will be cheap, easy, and give you a feel for campus life.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Harry's Coffee Shop in LJ across from Von's in the Village is very kitchy and anyone who is anybody dines there for breakfast..you'll have rock stars, congressman, celebs and people like us..good for breakfast.
George's at the Cove for late lunch..sit up top on the terrace.
I have heard of Ortega's and we have been to Ortegas in Puerto Nuevo but nobody goes down there anymore with the danger that plagues Mex.
El Pescador in LJ for a grouper sandwich is one of my fave's.
Bahia Don Bravos in Birdrock/LJ has the best lobster burrito and great fish tacos..super taco shop in LJ that is very good.
Super Cocina gets lots of love too for Mex.
Mama Testas for potato tacos/taquitos too!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:54 PM

I didn't know that the Ortegas had opened a restaurant in San Diego. Certainly makes sense as few of us go down to Puerto Nuevo anymore. Here's the web site. The decor is a bit more upscale here!

http://www.ortegasbistro.com/
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I've got them all on my list - great options!

I will post a trip report with restaurant reviews when I return!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM

I just spent this past weekend in San Diego. Here's where we ate:

* Top of the Market (dinner): good, moderately priced. Scallops were super gritty though. Good beet salad with warm goat cheese.
* Prado (Lunch): excellent fish tacos - very generous portions of mahi mahi cooked perfectly, great service, funky atmosphere...would repeat
* Oceanaire (Dinner): amazing scallops and service. Perfect evening and would repeat.
* George's Ocean Terrace (lunch): Great view. Mahi Mahi tacos were just good, not great. About 1/3 of the fish that Praod served and not cooked as nicely. Veggies served alongside the tacos were limp. Think the view is the bigger draw here.
* 1500 Ocean (Dinner): just as fabulous as Oceanaire!!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM

bean,
you should never experience super gritty scallops at Top of the Market..especially for the prices they charge upstairs.
Knowing the whole team, you would do them a huge service if you let them know.
second, all of beans suggestion!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Both my dad and I had gritty scallops...my mother's were totally fine. You're right, though - we should have said something to the server.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM

shoot them an e-mail..they probably send you a gift certificate for letting them know and then you could come back to SD during the summer and eat more scallops..but go to Point Loma Seafood for the killer grilled scallop sandwich.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Ortega's is really good--a very interesting menu, not the "usual" Tex-Mex food. Our fave, as I wrote elsewhere, is El Agave on the fringe of Old Town.