Reload this Page >

San Diego relocation at 24 y.o.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Quarter life crisis

Okay, is this crazy? I'm 24, have a job in a great city (Atlanta) with great friends, but I want to move to San Diego, find a new job in a new industry, and experience the west coast. I'm going there next weekend to check it out. I'm not running away for anything, just looking for a change. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as looking for work, places to live, etc. I could use all the help I can get, as I have no connections to the area.

Thanks!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:18 PM
cg

My husband and I just gave up great jobs and moved from Atlanta to LA (I'm 27), and so far we love it. CA is totally different and a really fun place to be in your 20s. I'm not sure that we'll stay here once we're ready to start a family.

The things to consider are this: First off, this is probably the best time in your life to do this. Assuming you don't have kids, house to sell, etc. If you don't like it, you can always move back to Atlanta! And then you'll know, and you won't regret it when you're older.

That being said, CA is ridiculously expensive - much more so than Atlanta. Taxes are higher, car registration is higher, car insurance is outrageous, and rent is pretty high for anything decent. Most apartments that rent for under $2000/month will be small with ancient appliances (at least, that's how it is in LA, and I've heard San Diego is worse). If that doesn't bother you, or you're a money making machine, you'll be fine. Just be prepared for it!

Before you make the move, you might want to check out the LA area as well. There are probably more job possibilities up here, even though it's not quite as idyllic as San Diego. If you don't want to live right in the city, there are plenty of options - I have a good friend who lives in Huntington Beach (about 40 miles south of downtown) and loves it. Traffic here seems slightly better than in Atlanta, but it's heavy all the time and there are about five left turn arrows in the entire metropolitan area...

Good luck with your decision! Everyone thought we were a little nuts to leave our good setup in Atlanta, but you only live once. We just have to go down to the beach for a couple of hours to feel like we made the right decision!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Jane

Go for it - you'll probably never have the freedom again that you do now. Definitely look at L.A. (that's where I am). I don't know about the job market right now, but it's an exciting place for the mid-20 year olds. Why not just get a summer job and try out the west coast. Can't beat the weather, the beaches, the shopping, and all the tan skin. You can get an apt. for about $1200/month if you look. Oceanside is great - especially if you surf. The areas up the coast from San Diego (Oceanside, Carlsbad, Capistrano, etc.) are all great beach cities and the rents will be cheaper than San Diego or L.A. proper. Good luck.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Kris

I've lived in SD for 20, years (i'm 39)
A couple of areas that are pretty decent, not too expensive and fun are singles are Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, and Coastal towns (Solana, Leucadia and Cardiff areas) Rent for an aparmtent 1bdrm ranges from gold and grimy (650/mo.) to average (1000/month). Excellent industries are "service/tourism (executive level or upper mgt), healthcare, biotech, IS, programming. An average "living wage" in San Diego requires at least 50K per year per person. Average house cost is now almost 400K. But it's so beautiful here...the beast weather. Good luck!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:55 AM
mover

I moved from Minneapolis to Phoenix at age 21, right out of college, with no job and about $500 in my hand. I just wanted to live somewhere that it didn't snow! I got a waitress job in about 2 days just to get by until I got a job in my field. I lived there 4 years and then came back to Mpls (although every winter I wonder why I came back!). It was a great experience and made me a very independent and confident woman. I agree with the above poster that you should do it while you are young and have no commitments. Now I am 40 with a good job and a great husband and a 10 year old child and I would LOVE to move somewhere else again, but I can't take my child away from her grandparents, can't leave the job, etc. So, GO! While you still can! Experiences are the most valuable things in life, and the only thing no one can take away from you, so go get some!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
xxx

lived in san diego for 10 years and loved it but it is very expensive but lots of people share accommodations if you don't mind that. claremont, kerny mesa are cheaper areas to live in. there is a single's volunteer group - do a search on the web - which was a great way to meet people and the volunteer projects were fun. the location is great cause you are so close to mexico, vegas, l.a. arizona. take a chance. you can always go "home" if you don't like it in a year or two.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:17 AM
Quarter life crisis

Thanks for all your wonderful replies. My current reservation is in finding a job. I would LOVE to work in the travel/tourism industry, although I'm sure it's hard to get into right now. I'm still definitely going to move out there, and there is even a small chance that my best friend will do it too. She wants to go to law school in a year and this is the time for her to do it if ever. I'll be heading there this weekend to check out places to live, jobs, etc. I have a feeling I'll eventually move back to the east, but I want to give it a try for now. Thanks again!