San Diego over New Year's

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego over New Year's

My husband and I are spending 3 nights in San Diego (Dec 30-Jan1). We are going to CA for the Rose Bowl...last minute plans...and decided in would be fun to stay in San Diego since neither of us has ever been there. Since we will be there on New Year's Eve, I would like to book dinner at a nice place (my husband's birthday is Jan 1 so we have 2 things to celebrate). Any suggestions about dinner and other meals, and other "todos" and "must sees" would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:22 PM

You do realize the Rose Bowl is in Pasadena-- 2 1/2 hours north of San Diego? So you're going to be driving up for the Rose Bowl then driving back to SD, as I read it.

Where in SD will you be staying?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:22 PM

I think it would depend on where you're staying. I don't think you'd want to be driving on NYE (although never having been at that time, maybe I'm wrong). George's at the Cove in La Jolla is a favorite for food and views of the water although once it's dark, you see no water. The Marine Room is also on the water but evidently does have lights. My favorite meal so far has been Thee Bungalow but it's not fancy or a place with a view. Brockton Villa is a fun, funky place in La Jolla that is across from the water open for break., lunch and I think dinner. Famous for their french toast.

There are also lots of previous posts here on SD. The museums at Balboa Park are terrific. That's also where the zoo and a beautiful botanic garden are located. The Prado rest. at Balboa Park is also good (not IMO a destination but very good if you're there).
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
rjw has a very good point about driving time.

If you're going to the Rose Bowl game, then the Parade in the morning is a must-see. If you decided to do that, you would really have to stay closer than San Diego.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Ha Ha! Yes, we know where the Rose Bowl is. We had a difficult time finding a room in LA so decided to stay in San Diego. The dates are actually Dec 31-Jan 2. Tell me more about the parade...where exactly is it...what time does it start...is it Jan 1? (Sorry for my ignorance on the subject We are staying at the Windham Plaza at Emerald Plaza. I haven't exactly gotten our bearings on the area yet. Would that be too far to go to La Jolla for dinner? Are ther better places closer. Since we arent' getting in until the 31st we may want to go to La Jolla when we have more time? Thanks so much for your help!
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jacolyn, the Parade is in Pasadena and takes place on the morning of Jan. 1. It's broadcast live nationally every year. The bands of the two schools playing in the game in the afternoon march in the parade. It is absolutely the best parade anywhere.

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 08:48 AM

My understanding is that to get a spot to view the parade, you would want to get there VERY early. I have never been, but I believe that many people set up their viewing spots the night before. If the parade starts at 8 or 9, you would want to get there as early as possible bc parking will be far away. I am sure they block off many streets as most places do for parades.

About your hotel. It is downtown near the Gaslamp district and their are numerous wonderful restaurants in that area, but you want to book ASAP. There is a Flemings for steaks and seafood, and Lou and Mickeys, our favorite, for steaks and seafood. East coast kind of decor and service. There are many Italian places, very good. My recommendation would be to call your concierge and see if they can arrange or suggest something close by. There are so many to choose from.

You can go here and look at the 191 restaurants in the area:

http://entertainment.signonsandiego....ink=cs_filter1

That turned out to be really long. This might be easier. Go to SignonSanDiego, hit the restaurant by neighborhood and go to Downtown/Gaslamp section. There you will find too many to choose from.

Have fun. We ate at Osteria Panevino last New Years. Kind of goofed b/c they do not have a full bar. But we ate outside and had a wonderful meal. The place was so crowded. We also went to the Westgate for a drink afterwards and that was a blast at the piano bar.

It is a good time...
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM

To answer your last specific question, yes, La Jolla is easily driveable for dinner from San Diego. La Jolla is a neighborhood within the city of San Diego on its northwest edge.

I'd allow even more time from San Diego to the Rose Bowl than the 2.5 hours rjw suggested. That would suffice on a normal day but on New Year's day with both the parade and the foorball game, I'd probably leave 4 hours before I wanted to be in my seats at the Rose Bowl to be safe. You might get there a bit early or you may need every minute of the 4 hours to be on time.

There are, IMO, two ways to get a good position to see the parade. Either go the evening before and spend the night at curbside (many people do) or take advantage of organized tours, such as AAA, who provide transportation and reserved bleacher seats. When I lived in Orange County, the local ACSC (so. Calif AAA) had such tours and I would guess they are available from San Diego as well. If so, be prepared for an oh-dark-thirty departure (miltary slang for really early in the morning before sunrise).

I am not sure if they have tours that take in both the parade and the football game.

If you do a google search on "rose parade", you should find all the information you need including routes, viewing locations, pre and post times and locations to see the floats up close, and tours.

Have a great trip.