San Diego - Memorial Day

Search

San Diego - Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego - Memorial Day

Thanks to fabulous Fodorites and a somewhat improved search function, I have lots of good information for my trip to San Diego. Wanderherr and I arrive the Sunday before Memorial Day for one week. We are staying in the Gaslamp District and will be using public transportation and our feet to get around.

We plan one day at the Zoo, one at Embarcadero/Coronado, and at least one (possibly two) to wander Balboa Park and see some of the gardens and museums. We plan to skip Sea World, Wild Animal Park, LegoLand and most of the shopping centers.

Here’s where I need help:
- We realize there will likely be big crowds at the major attractions the Sunday before and on Memorial Day. Any suggestions for what to do these days to avoid the congestion?
- Any suggestions for places to go using public transportation?
- I have lots of restaurant recommendations, but I am interested in your favorite moderately priced places around Gaslamp (especially dim sum, Thai, Japanese) and in Little Italy. We usually do not like to be tied to a particular restaurant on a particular night. Will restaurants be so crowded that reservations will be needed?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hope you have a great time here in San Diego wanderfrau.
AS far as beating the crowds, you've already taken a first steps- by using public transportation and coming before the holiday. Lots of people will be circling the zoo parking lot or the park looking for parking but you'll be walking to where you want to go.

I would get to the zoo as early as possible, I believe they open at 9am. Go in the early part of the week on a weekday. You might want to check the zoo's website and see when they start staying open until late. I'm always surprised at how many people don't take advantage of this. The animals are usaully more active earlier and later.

Sorry, the only restaurant my husband and I frequent downtown is an Indian place on the east side of Horton Plaza, we happened on it one day when he had jury duty.
There are some very good places north of downtown in Hillcrest, it may be an easy bus trip. Not sure.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

LSky thanks for the good info. We're looking forward to our trip
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM

It's my pleasure. One thing, you might be here during a bit of "May Gray- June Gloom" don't worry, the gray skies usually clear up by late morning or noon. Still wear your sunscreen, you can still get a burn on a cloudy day.

About public transpo, you can take the ferry to Coronado from downtown, it's a quick ride for a couple of bucks.
If you haven't already, do a search for the San Diego transit, someone told me the other day that it's pretty simple to get around via bus and trolley here.

I hope you love our little corner of the world as much as I love Germany!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the link to San Diego Transit. It is easy to get around, just very time-consuming. Mu daughter doesn't drive and takes three different buses to get to her college, a trip that takes her an hour and fifty minutes. It takes twenty-five minutes by car.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, here IS the link!

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM

you can take the water taxi over to Coronado too..

www.sdhe.com
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

ksucat - thanks for the alternative

Barbara - thanks for the link

LSky - more good info. Thanks. I share your love of Germany, hence my screen name. I think I'll enjoy San Diego, but it's tough for any location to beat time in Germany!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM

You might want to try Filippi's Pizza Groto in Little Italy. It's a long time San Diego favorite. You enter through their Italian market which can have a line out the door most times, but the line moves fast. The lasagna is our favorite.
If you start out early on the holiday you will not have any problems with the zoo or balboa park and like Lsky posted using public transportation you do not have to worry about finding a parking space.
From the Gaslamp you could take the trolley to Old Town and i think it also goes out to the Old Mission.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

joeyi - I will add Filippi's to the top of my restaurant list and put Old Town on the itinerary. Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
wanderfrau - we really enjoyed Croce's -
http://www.croces.com/croces.shtml
And, if you were familiar with his music, even better
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

starrs - I saw your suggestion for Croce's on another San Diego thread. It's on my list. I read on another forum it's a nice place for jazz in the evenings... Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd definitely head out to Coronado Island and spend a day - or most of the day - at the Del.
Actually, I'd spend a night or two at the Del.
Can you tell I love Coronado Island?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM

While at the zoo, we don't eat lunch there, instead we nip over to the Prado in Balboa Park. Get your hand stamped it's a short walk.

If you can take the bus up to Hillcrest, you'll find many good restaurants including Thai.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

More good ideas -- thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM

take the water taxi over to Coronado..like Starrs states..its a great island..
Prado for lunch is wonderful.
Basic for pizza is excellent in the Gaslamp..go to Point Loma Seafoods for their calamari sandwich.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ksucat