San Diego / LaJolla with 15 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going on a 5 day trip to San Diego/ LaJolla in a couple of weeks. We have been several times and need a couple of suggestions of something fun to do with a 15 yr old boy. He hates to shop, so will try to keep that to a minimum. Last visit we went to the zoo. Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations of great restaurants would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Sea World is very good for young teens who are interested in sea life. Also the Wild Animal Park is much different than the zoo-----animals roam in the open land through which you take a safari ride.

Another idea would be a tour of the aircraft carrier. And how about surfing lessons?

Old Town is a fun place to go for Mexican Restaurants.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM

I like to take the train trolley down near the border . There are lots of fun litle towns to stop in on the way!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

montereybob;

He would love surfing lessons. Wouldn't the water be too cold in mid-september for surfing?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM

The water temp is usually great in Sept. The most pleasant day I ever had surfing was in early Oct. And I don't use a wetsuit!

Tour the aircraft carrier Midway.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM

Yesterday the water temp at the La Jolla Cove was 71 degrees. That is pretty unheard of or at least unusual for San Diego beaches. But who's complaining!! And a lot of surf shops rent wet suits. You can probably contact some of the dive and surf shops in the La Jolla Shores neighborhood. There are many such shops - one is La Jolla Kayak at 2199 Ave de la Playa (858) 459-1114.

Someone mentioned La Jolla Shores Hotel at 8110 Camino del Oro in the Shores on another post. That would be a nice location for a family with a teenager. It is right on the beach within walking distance of surf shops, restaurants, etc. It's a nice and safe area and not too crowed like Downtown La Jolla can be.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:10 AM

A fun restaurant for a teen might be Corvette Dinner now located in Point Loma
at the Liberty Station, Loma Portal
2965 Historic Decatur Road
San Diego, CA 92106

(619) 542-1476
www.cohnrestaurants.com
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:15 AM

montereybob mentioned Old Town - there are many old buildings from the early days of San Diego's history, check out the Whaley House (which is said to be haunted!) and there are many, many great Mexican Restaurants.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM

Go for the surfing lessons! I just got back from San Diego and the water is unusually warm this year. Sept. will be fine.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM

DH and I had the absolute best best burgers ever (and what 15 year old boy doesn't like burgers!?!) at a small restaurant, actually more of a bar, in the Gas Lamp District in San Diego. The place was called Nicky Rotten's. We were taking a cruise out of SD in 2007 and had arrived a day early. A driver on the "hop on hop off" trolley recommended the place as a local favorite. We will be back in the SD in a few weeks and we are looking forward to a return visit - it was that good!
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM

This place is kind of a dive - but very popular - Jose's. It's right on the main drag in La Jolla. Good food, and I think they have outside tables.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:10 AM

Taratravels,

The beach is probably your best bet, whether or not he takes surfing lessons. He can snorkel at La Jolla cove or body surf at the shores. The water may be cold, depending on where you are from, but you can always rent a wetsuit if he wants. You may not need to.

The midway museum is downtown and very interesting. You could go to a baseball game at Petco Park if they are in town. That is also downtown. There are also other museums in Balboa Park (Aerospace, Natural History, etc.) if he is into museums.

Years ago I would have recommended Old Town, but not any more, especially is he does not like to shop. But if you go, the best Mexican place is Old Town Mexican Cafe or slightly out of old town at El Indio.

Corvette Diner is fun too. Its a few miles from Old Town.

Since you are in La Jolla, you might also want to venture north and check out Del Mar, Solana Beach and Cardiff. There are some nice beaches there also.

I think the best idea is for him to do some research and come up with what he would like to do.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Town is more than a bunch of shops and restaurants. It is actually the original San Diego town and there are historic buildings. IMO, it's very interesting, but it might not grab the interest of a 15 year old boy!

He might like the San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum in Balboa Park, though, and possibly the Automotive Museum and the Air and Space Museum.

http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-par...ns.php?catID=5
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:15 AM

I am sure he would appreciate the local scenery at the beach.

Order of preference:
1. La Jolla Shores
2. Pacific Beach
3. Ocean Beach
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM

agree with a lot of the posters..
LJ Shores is a great beach where he can kayak, boogie board, snorkel or just swim..have a burger at Jeff's burgers or have lunch at the Shores restaurant right at the beach there.
USS Midway would be cool, the Birch Aquarium in LJ, baseball game at Petco Park..super cheap $5-$10 tickets.
Sammy's Woodfired Pizza in LJ is a good call and the messy sundae is one of the best.
Torrey Pines State Reserve or the Torrey Pines Golfcourse next door.
Hang gliding port is awesome to watch the gliders take off.
Jose's Courtroom is great in LJ but no outside tables..Alfonso's too.
Have lunch on the terrace at George's at the Cove.
Go to the Shell Shop and see the cave.
I'm sure he would love a double double cheeseburger from In and Out Burger...or Hodad's in OB.