San Diego in October

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Lois

San Diego in October

My husband and I are planning a vacation to San Diego in October. We've visited there before in August a couple years ago. How does the climate differ from August to October? We are thinking of staying downtown close to Maritime Museum. Is this a good area? What about after dark? Also, we've been to the zoo and animal park. We also took a harbor cruise and old town trolley tour. We spent a lot of time at museums and such at Balboa Park. We are not "night life" people or hang out at shopping malls, though we really liked Seaport Village. What other kinds of activities are there to do besides the well known attractions? We are out of shape - can't walk for long periods of time or play sports. Has anyone ever been to fleet week? This seems to be a real attraction for my husband. What is it like? We briefly visited the area by the lighthouse and want to go back there. The view was so awesome. Also, has anyone been to Seeley Stables Museum? We thought about checking that out as well. We enjoyed San Diego so much, it was hard to leave. If it wasn't so expensive to live there, we'd be there but our heart remains. Thanks in advance for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:04 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego. October is a great month for visiting San Diego. The days are warm and sunny and very little fog along the coast. October is my favorite month in California, north or south.

I normally recommend staying downtown unless you want to be by the beach. However, my reasons for suggesting downtown do not appear to be valid in your case. The advantages to downtown is the nightlife and restaurants ( Gaslamp area ), shopping ( Horton Plaza ) and the chance to walk along the waterfront etc. You stated that non of these things are part of your agenda so staying downtown really loses a lot of it's appeal in your case. Downtown San Diego is no problem after dark. It is a pretty safe city ( lowest crime rate of any major city in the US ). Of course you should exercise normal caution as in any city.

You seem to have covered most of the sights. I would recommend visiting Coronado. You can take the ferry to Coronado. It is located right next to the Broadway pier.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Joe

Sam's right, the fall is the best time to visit.

The Seeley Stable museum is located in Old Town, but it's not worthy of a trip by itself. If you visit Old Town, it may be worth a visit. The Old Town area has many little sites and tourist places of interest, but involves a bit of walking around.

Fleet week is a week long event that is put on by the Navy to generate good PR for the service. Many ships from foreign countries come and the harbor area is packed with activities. I personally never participated but worked near the airport and used to watch the parade of ships from my office.

Other suggestions: Consider a day trip to Temecula for wine tasting or visit Balboa Park for numerous museums, but that would involve some walking. If your husband is a military buff, he might enjoy the Aerospace Museum there.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:25 PM
Lois

Thanks for all your suggestions. We also want to tour The Hotel Del. I know no matter what we do, we will have a great time because the atmosphere there is so wonderful.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:58 PM
Denise

Beware is you are staying at the Residence Inn near the Maritime Museum. Several freight train pass by each night and some conductors feel they must sound their horns continouosly. My hubby never slept, but my daughter a heavy sleeper, never heard them. The front desk provides ear plugs.