San Diego hotel suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still having trouble deciding on a family hotel in San Diego. Want something near the beach.I'm deciding between these hotels: Bahia, Catamaran,Coronado Marriot,Pacific Terrace, Hilton Mission Bay. Any comments on any of these or any suggestions? I was leaning toward the Bahia, but read some bad reviews on Tripadvisor.com.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM

My husband & I spent a few nights at the Coronado Marriott last year. It's a beautiful place. Room was very large & comfortable. It is not near the beach, but you can hop on a shuttle & get around Coronado very easily.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Tess

Those were also my hotel choices before our March trip to San Diego. It's hard to weed out hotels if you've never been to the city and aren't sure what area to choose. Anyhow, we stayed at Pacific Terrace and were very happy with our choice--right on the ocean with a nice beach. Close to La Jolla, Seaworld, etc.

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 01:42 PM

I would stay at the Catamaran. Great hotel. Right in the middle of all of the action. It is on the bay but just a across the street from the ocean. You have lots of restaurants and beach shops in walking distance. Some stores too. It is very busy there, but FUN, FUN, FUN. Pretty nice rooms as I recall. Some have kitchenettes. Great place for smaller and older kids.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Another vote for the Coronado Marriott.

Woody
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Hello GLMDesigns

I posted on the other thread you have going with the same question.

Here is a vote for The Ocean Park Inn
www.oceanparkinn.com
See reviews at tripadvisor.com
Hotel is right on the ocean, has free gated parking and breakfast.

Sandy
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:28 PM
dcespedes

Hi there--years ago we stayed at the Bahia in Mission Bay and more recently at the Hyatt in Seaport Village which is just across a channel from Coronado--given the choice I would stay on Coronado--easy to get around, incredible beach and if you're not keen on driving you can take the ferry back to the "mainland" where you can catch a trolley to various points of interest. Hope this helps

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:34 PM

stayed at Pacific Terrace, it was nice. Heated outdoor pool, good breakfast included in the price. Right on the beach.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I've lived in San Diego area for 35 years. Coronado is the most charming island/beach area. The Marriot would be my pick. Mission Bay, Seaport Village and Shelter Island are all areas worth visiting as well. Be sure to visit Sea World, especially if you have kids.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - I would llike to stay on Coronado, but my husband thinks the Mission Bay area would be more fun for kids. That's my dilemma and why I was considering the Bahia or a hotel in that area.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Hotel Del Coronado would actually be the nicest spot. If you prefer Mission Bay, the Hyatt Islandia is also quite nice. Also consider Paradise Point in Mission Bay; the grounds are very charming with gardens, bridges, ducks, etc.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Once again, I suggest you check out Paradise Point at www.paradisepoint.com. The picture gives you a very real impression of how charming it is. Some of the units are right on the beach....very private I might add. Nice restaurants on the premises, and Sea World is very close.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. I was considering the Del but thought the rooms were too small, so I was considering the Marriot. I actually stayed at Paradise Point whenit was a different ownership, and liked it, but wanted something closer to the beach. That is why I was considering hotels in the mission Beach/pacific Beach area. Still open to ideas. The location of the Bahia is fabulous, but I heard the rooms were crummy. Still open to any suggestions.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Would like more info on the Hyatt Islandia -anyone stay there?
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:11 PM

Take a look at the Glorietta Bay Hotel, which is within walking distance of beaches, restaurants, and shops. Some of the rooms in the new wing have kitchenettes.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM

RE: Hyatt Islandia--my husband won an auction in which he paid $150 for a $1500 room. I had no idea it was THE PENTHOUSE! The view was unbelievable--360 degree view of all of San Diego. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The room was amazing, about 3500 sq ft of luxury. Two problems though: The big screen TV remote was complicated and the fog rolled in completely the next morning. But it was still the experience of a lifetime.

The hotel and grounds are very pretty. It's near the beach, bay and Sea World. It would be easier getting there than the heavy traffic areas of the beach. Some of the rooms are much nicer than others. After the penthouse stay, I'm too spoiled to be objective about staying in another room there.

If you like boats check out Harbor Vacation Club on Harbor Island. You can rent a floating villa. I haven't heard from anyone who has tried it, but Harbor Island is an awesome area of San Diego.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM

OK, let me try and explain the differences in your considerations. It is not just the property but the location that makes the difference.

Coronado is a nice, isolated island that has its own active beach envirenment. It is nicer than Mission Beach but also more secluded. My description for it would be more upscale. If you stay at the Del, or the Marriott, you are pretty much ON the island for most of your time. Beautiful island. NOt tons of things to do, but enough.

Mission Bay, which includes Paradise Pt, The Hilton Resort on Mission Bay and Hyatt Islandia, are pretty much inclusive type hotels and resorts. There is not much walking distance activities around the properties. To get an ice cream, you would have to drive or pay resort prices.

Bahia is just across the bridge from Mission Beach and you can walk. But Ocean Park Inn (south Mission, ocean side), and Catamaran (N Mission Bay) is right ON Mission Beach and that is where ALL the action is. You can walk to liquor stores, Diary Queens, surf shops. Ride bikes on the boardwalk. Walk to many bars, restaurants. You can swim in the ocean or in the bay. People watching galore, some good, some bad. MB is where the locals play, college kids, tourists, everybody. You have to keep an eye on your kids b/c of undertoe in the ocean (bay is safer) and the huge spectrum of people around you. Druggies, volleyball players, families, people on bikes going pretty fast on the boarwalk, you name it. It is a zoo, but fun and action packed.

So it depends on what you want. I love Coronado, but it would not be my first choice. Too upscale. My kids, 12 and 16 beg, beg and beg to stay at the beach. That, to them, is Mission Beach. It is where it is all at. Kids, teenagers, families, you name it. We rented a house there for a week last year and it is happening 24/7.

So, it depends on what you are looking for. Quiet calm seclusion nice beach sitting around reading a book, order a cocktail experience with a nice room or crazy, surf board, boogie board, crowded on weekends, people watching, walk around the corner for some action type experience, maybe not the greatest room, then Mission Beach is what you want.

Also, Pacific Terrace is in North Mission Beach.

When are you going? This makes a difference. July and August are packed with Zonies and desert rats like us trying to get out of the heat. I would for sure stay away from 4th of July. You can't even get off the island that weekend. Also, age of kids plays a role. Very young, on the Bay or Coronado. Old enough to hold their own, MISSION BEACH, Man...

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Heavens you have given some solid advice. We are from NY and coming beginning of August. You have described my dilema perfectly. I would like to stay in Coronado, buy my husband thinks it might be too boring for our 11 year old. I was thinking the Marriott. But as you describe, I love the action of the California beach towns, so I wanted to stay in the Mission Beach area, thus my interest in the Bahia which has a great location. However I heard the rooms are awful. So I don't know what to do.The Hilton and Islandia look nice but somewhat isolated. The Pacific Terrace and Ocean Park Inn look like motels. I want something resort-like. I am still in a quandry.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Did you check into Catamaran? They are owned by the Evans Co that owns the Bahia also. This has the resort feel right in the middle of North Mission Beach, on the bay. For your needs, it sounds perfect. Check it out:

www.catamaranresort.com

They will talk to you about your needs. They even will tell you the sq. footage of the rooms and the different choices that you have. They have a high rise and those rooms have small kitchenettes, I think. Those rooms are smaller. Then the smaller buildings have bigger rooms.

The advantage is that the hotel is about two or three blocks from Garnet (which is a huge beach street with tatoo parlors and everything), the beach, right on the bay. You have tons of stuff, fun stuff, within walking distance.

The rooms, I recall, are pretty nice and most have balconies. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -