San Diego - Hotel help please

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego - Hotel help please

We will be visiting San Diego in mid August (2 adults, 3 children). We will need 2 rooms or a very large suite.

Anyway, we want to be close to the beach, Sea World, and the Zoo. I have 5 star taste and really a 3 - 4 star budget *especially given the 2 room requirement. The most important things to me are the hotel be very, very clean and have a nice pool.

What about the Courtyard Old Town San Diego or the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge? Any other suggestions? I've looked into Paradise Point and other more expensive properties but the reviews are so mixed. I don't know what to believe.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Here's a couple of choices:

The Ocean Park Inn located directly on the beach. Breakfast is included and has a small pool. Details www.oceanparkinn.com

The Inn At Sunset Cliffs. Breakfast is included on weekends served on the patio with ocean views. Has a large pool. Details www.innatsunsetcliffs.com Call this hotel direct for the best prices and free parking.

See reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

Also check out offers on www.sandiego.org

Enjoy beautiful San Diego.
Sandy
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I have stayed at the Best Western Blue Seas Lodge a couple of times and liked staying there- its one of the few hotels right on the beach-I think they have done some remodeling since I stayed there last but I found the rooms adequate considering we were only in them to sleep
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM

We stayed at the Courtyard Old Town and it was ok, certainly nothing all that special. We also stayed at the Residence Inn downtown which was good proximity to everything.
My favorite was the Hyatt, but it comes with a high rate (we were there for a convention, so our room was paid for). But we really did enjoy the Residence Inn. Not real scenic, but a great place in a central location.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM

AS Sunburn1944 stated the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge is one of the few right on the beach. We also stayed there a few years ago and found it to be a good choice. Considering the fact that you need two rooms I believe it would fit into your budget. Take a look at their web site.
http://www.bestwestern-bluesea.com/
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge and I even called them. However, the lady confirmed that it gets very roudy at night by their property (people partying and drinking/homeless people). That sounds horrible..

Because of some health issues I might need to spend a lot of time in my room. So it is important that the room be very nice, clean and comfortable.

If money were no object then where would you stay in San Diego? I'm open to any suggestion at this point.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM

I haved stayed at the Blue Seas Lodge twice, kept my door open at night to hear the waves and never once heard anyone partying outside - I thought the room was comfortable and loved being able to hear the waves all night long.
Woke up in the am to a surfing competition going on right in front of the hotel- had a pleasant experience there.

I think the Pacific Terrace Hotel would be another good choice- just a short distance from the BlueSeas Lodge- havent stayed there - but thought it looked good .

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM

The Catamaran on Mission Bay.
http://www.catamaranresort.com/
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Since the blue sea lodge is right on the boardwalk in PB there is a good chance of activity at all hours. It isn't really that close to any bars though so it shouldn't be too rowdy.

I agree with the Catamaran.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM

If money were no object I would stay in La Jolla.