Search

San diego

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San diego

We are visiting SanDiego late May 2006, 2adults & 2 kids 7 & 11 any tips where to stay. We are wanting to go to the Zoo, Seaworld & mexico. Want a central hotel with access to these with minimal travel.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM

Either the Catamaran Resort in Mission Bay or possibly the Blue Sea Lodge om Pacific Beach are located in fairly convenient locations. The Zoo is great, as is Sea World. Don't forget Old Town which is part historical experience and part shopping/dining. As far as Mexico, if you are thinking of Tiajuana, I certainly wouldn't go there with young children personally. If you have a car, take a ride up to La Jolla and check out Georges at the Cove restaurant for great food and views. Might be a little expensive with kids, but there is a Bistro upstairs that is less expensive but still offers great views.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM
jd

If you don't care about being right on the water, there is an
Embassy Suites that is in a decent location. You can walk to Seaport Village, and the tourist bus stops close by, which will bring you to Old Town, the zoo, and Balboa Park. There is only an indoor pool there, I believe.
HarryR: We love George's at the Cove too!! Great views.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM

michaelgre

I'll recommend two of the places that we have stayed at in different locations.

Ocean Park Inn is located on the beach. Rooms on the upper floors facing the ocean are the absolute best. Rooms have minirefrigerators and microwaves. Breakfast is simple such as cereal, bagels and pastries. Juice and coffee is available all day. Hotel has a small pool. Free parking was included when we were there but not sure if that is still offered. This is a busy area but lots of fun. Grocery store, coffee shop and eating places that you can walk to. Would stay here again. Here is the hotel website www.oceanparkinn.com

Inn at Sunset Cliffs This is a wonderful 23-room inn on the cliffs of the Pacific. This property has been completely redone and includes kitchen and two bedroom suites. A very nice breakfast that includes waffles is served on the weekends on their patior that faces the Pacific. Coffee only on week days. This place has a large swimming pool. The views are terrific. Note there is not direct access to the beach from this hotel but it is a easy walk into the beach area. Free parking included at this hotel. Full details at www.innatsunsetcliffs.com I phoned the hotel direct and got a much cheaper rate than the website.

If you have not done so immediately go to www.sandiego.org and request a free visitors planning guide. Money saving coupons here and sometimes money saving offers at your choice of lodging.

How long will you be staying in San Diego. Our son has made his home in San Diego for a number of years and we are slowly visiting the many attractions. There is much to do and see and I woulnd't waste any time going to Mexico.

Sandy

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM

michaelgre

Forgot to mention that you can review all hotels at www.tripadvisor.com

Good luck.

Sandy
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it important to you to be close to a beach? As you're coming from Australia, I'm guessing it's not a big thing, but let us know. At the time you will be here, it can be cloudy, especially at the beach, and the water will still be very cold.

Good non-beach places for your family would include the Sheraton Suites on A Street downtown, the Embassy Suites already mentioned downtown, the Best Western Hacienda in old Town. Also, the Residence Inn in Mission Valley gets good revues. Another beach place is the Beach Cottages on Ocean Boulevard in Pacific Beach.

Everything in San Diego is really spread out and you will be better to rent a car. It's possible, but more difficult and time consuming to get to the places you want to see without one. Most rental agencies will not let you take their vehicles into Mexico.

If you are able to find a day tour to Ensenada in Mexico, then that would be interesting, but Tijuana is not. It's really not a good place to take young children.

Good luck with your planning. San Diego is a great place to visit.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM

I agree with Barbara. I would definitely skip Tijuana with young children. Ensenada maybe but there is SO much to do in San Diego.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
JRP

I know that this is always a challenging question, but I'll ask anyway...What might a family of 4, w/a 15 yo and an 11 yo, do on a one day sidetrip from Palm Springs? Our first thought is the obvious- Zoo. SD residents? Think "The most flattering 8 hours in San Diego". Touristy activities are not exempt- it's a vacation!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM

Go to Balboa Park..there is the zoo, Fleet space center with Imax movies, and several small but fun museums.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM

Barbara - How do you know this family is visiting from Australia? Just curious.

Sandy
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:55 PM
TahitiTams

I think that the Sea Lodge Hotel at La Jolla Shores is perfect for you.. Oceanfront and affordable..Check Expedia.com or LJBTC.com .. La Jolla is stunning and the water is gorgeous and you could go swimming in the ocean and you are about a mile from the highway to SeaWorld, Zoo and other wonderful places in San Diego..
Do not go to Mexico..it is a dump and if you do not know what you are doing it could be dangerous..plus rental cars are not allowed to go down there..maybe the trolley.. Take the kids to a ballgame at PetcoPark.com downtown..
You are going to love my wonderful city..it is a very much like Sydney!

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM

Sandy, the email address.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM

May I just recommend, since you have young kids, 2 places you and they might love to eat? In San Diego, on Goldfinch Ave is the best BBQ in California, called Phils BBQ, and if you go to La Jolla, which is a beautiful town, they is a fantastic old fashioned diner called Harry's Coffee Shop. Both are great for kids.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM
JRP

Thanks all. I'm taking notes. Keep 'em coming.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM

JRP, it's not actually a challenging question at all, everyone has different opinions that's all.

However, you have hijacked someone else's thread and it is difficult to know whose question is being answered. I suggest you start your own thread and you will get responses which answer your question.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. There for 4 nights, then on to Aneheim for 10 (the usual Disney/Knotts/Universal) The kids love shopping so were looking forward to Tiajuana, I take it that it is just not safe for the kids
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
hsv

maichaelgre,

if your planned Mexico outing was for shopping purposes only, you can do better anyway:

Make a stop on your way down to San Diego at the Carlsbad Company Stores Premium Outlets. It is just off I-5 at Palomar Airport Road on the inland side.

Tijuana is not only not that safe for kids, it appears to be not that safe for anyone to me. And while I think that it's not such a good idea to take children there, I also think it's not such a good idea to go there at all. You all will have much more fun staying North of the border, I should think.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM

Stay at Best Western Hacienda Hotel. It's in a great central location. Beautifully landscaped and excellant views of the city. Walk to Old Town for shops & restaurants. It's 3 blooks from the trolley station. Check out their website www.haciendahotel-oldtown.com.
Book your reservation on-line for a big discount. Rooms were huge with frig and microwave and self serve laundry room by the pool which is nice for extended stays. Location is easy drive to everything you need. Can't beat the price, convenience and location!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:53 PM

i would suggest the catamaran resort - the shoreline and boardwalk have so much to offer for families. skip the zoo and go to the wild animal park (they are affiliated). it is a bit farther, but well worth the visit. a zoo is a zoo, but the wild animal park offers so much more in the natural habitat. also, mexico near the san diego border is not for children - it is dirty and poverty-ridden.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:05 AM

The "Sheraton on The Bay" is right on the Embarcadero and is 5 minutes from Balboa Park and the zoo and about 15 minutes to Seaworld. Also, in Balboa Park the many museums are fantastic.

Forget about Mexico. If you want to visit Mexico, I would suggest a separate trip to some place like Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco.

8-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -