Search

san diego help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 10:17 AM
judy

san diego help

We are thinking about a few day visit to San Diego. We need a lot of help. What to see, where to stay? Will we need to rent a car, or is there a place to stay near things to see? How is public transportation? Any information will be appreciated.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:25 PM

I would get a car...only because the sites are so spread out and public transportation takes so much time to coordinate that you'll waste valuable vacation time waiting for buses and trolleys.
IMHO, must sees are the zoo, Seaworld, Wild Animal Park, Coronado, La Jolla, and most of the museums in Balboa Park. Depending on when you visit...expect to pay at least $100 a night for a decent hotel...and more if you want to stay near the beach. Price will be a determining factor.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:09 AM
paul

Judy, San Diego is a big city/county. I think you will get more meaningful repsonses if you give the readers more of an idea of your price range on hotels, types of restaurants, what type of things you like to do etc. For example, do you want to stay at a beach or would you like the downtown area? Just a suggestion.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Mary

Check out: www.sandiego.org (San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau).

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 07:03 PM
Nate

Judy-
I am a San Diegan. It would be good to know more about what you are looking for and your price ranges, but here are some recommendations:
-Have brunch overlooking La Jolla Cove at the Brockton Villa Restaurant. They have really great french toast flavored with orange, called Coast Toast.
-Visit Coronado, and walk through the Hotel del Coronado. It is beautiful. Have Dinner at the Rhinocerous Grill, about a block away, after a cocktail on the deck at the Hotel del, overlooking the ocean. The Marilyn Monroe movie, Some Like It Hot, was filmed there in parts.
-Do not miss the San Diego Zoo. Go early on Sunday morning to miss the crowds.
-The Wild Animial Park, taking in the monorail tour, is great too. If you have the money to spend, a photo caravan where you can feed the giraffe, etc. is excellent.
-Balboa Park is fantastic too.
-Have a great time. We have a great town.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Debbie

Lucky you, San Diego is a wonderful city. If you stay downtown you will be able to spend a night there without a car and explore the town without paying an enormous overnight parking fee at the hotel. I would suggest the Westin which is newly renovated and is in the heart of Horton Plaza and the exciting Gaslamp district (cafes and great bars). If you are traveling without children, you will LOVE the gaslamp district which is a mecca of great quaint restaurants and bars. It is reminiscent of a very clean New Orleans. You are walking distance to Seaport Village and can take the ferry to Coronado Island. If you prefer an elegant classic accommodation, look no further than the historic Grant Hotel which is directly across the street from the Westin. Rent your car right downtown the next few days to see attractions like Sea World, SD Zoo & Balboa Park. A few hours at OldTown which is a Mexican themed area full of arts, crafts, food, and culture of Mexico is nearby. Other areas include a drive up to lovely La Jolla where you can take walks on the beach. Del Mar is also a charming village overlooking the ocean, but is approx. 35 minutes (depending on traffic) north of downtown. Please email back for further questions. Enjoy!

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 05:15 AM
judy

Thank you so much. The reason that I am so vague is because we are interested in just about everything.--Just love to travel--but don't have an unlimited budget. All of your suggestions are great. Thanks

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 07:09 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego and second pretty well what Debbie has said. However I would choose the Embassy Suites in downtown San Diego. Actually I own a timeshare in downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp area. That is a great area and I recommend the Dakota Grill on the corner of 5th and E. The ferry trip to Coronado is one of my favorite things to do. Make sure that you go on the official Coronado ferry at the foot of Broadway next to the pier.

Unless you have your heart set on being beachside, I would definitely stay in Downtown San Diego. This is assuming that you are not on a very limited budget. There are many things to do and see all within walking distance. I would rent a car only on the days that you wish to explore the surrounding areas.

Of course there are also the usual attractions like the zoo, Wild Animal Parl, Sea World, etc.