Search

San Diego - Golf

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego - Golf

When we last spoke, I had (with all of your help) decided to stay at the Lodge at Torrey Pines for my upcoming vacation. Now I need your help with golf course recommendations.

We have decided to golf one round at Torrey Pines, but the $185 pp price tag is a bit steep for a second round. Any suggestions for a decent area course that will allow us to eat while in town would be appreciated!~!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM

I'm not a golfer so can't tell you really what the course is like, but from a location to downtown and interesting things, the Balboa Park location is tops.
http://www.golfsd.com/balboa.html

Balboa Park is where the SD zoo is located not to mention several outstanding museums, botanic garden, great architecture and nice rest. the Prado.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
hsv

I happen to enjoy the Coronado Golf Course. It's just a short drive from downtown, spreads out along the bay shore and is simply pleasant. What's best is that their green fees rarely exceed US$ 30.-.
For family members unwilling to play, they can easily enjoy the gorgeous nearby beach at the Hotel Del.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

I was searching for info on the Coronado golf course but couldn't find it for Laura. I agree, Coronado would be a great place to play and be close to downtown (not to mention being on Coronado which IMO easily rivals La Jolla in beauty). Have an Italian lunch at Il Fornaio on the water.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM

Laura, did you call the Torrey Pines course directly and ask for tee times and green fee rates, or are you going through the Lodge?

It's more expensive if you go through the Lodge. If you go directly to the course and make tee times, you should be able to get green fee rates below $100.00.

Call the course directly. Don't use their website either. Try and call the course and ask.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your best chance of getting a tee time is through the Lodge. It costs more because the Lodge has to have some quiet deal with the City to get their guests tee times at all. It is the hardest thing for a resident of the City of San Diego to get a tee time at Torrey Pines, and it's a municipal golf course.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
hsv

Laura,

as mclaurie seconds my sincere recommendation of Coronado Golf Course, here is a URL that I found google-ing for Coronado Golf Course:

http://www.golfsd.com/coronado.html

I have played it a couple of times and it makes for a nice relaxed resort-like round, without any frills, though.

As Barbara, one of the true San Diego experts here, stated, your best bet to obtain a tee-time at Torrey Pines is to book it through the Lodge. It does come at a price, though, as you already realized.
I have paid less playing the course by lining up my bag early in the morning - and I mean very early at around 4.45 a.m. I wasn't even the first in line at that time, as others had been camping in their cars at the parking lot. I then went off to grab some breakfast, returned and was assigned a tee time at a rate below US$ 100.- by 9.00 a.m.
As you are staying at the Lodge, getting up a bit early and then returning to bed for a few more hours might be less a hassle than what I went through (when I was still a student). So if you're willing to take a risk, you might want to try this. There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will really be rewarded with a tee time this way...
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM

Laura, Barbara is correct.

When I called the course and asked why the discrepency in price they told me the Lodge has guaranteed times already booked, which came at the premium price. Well, I wasn't about to pay that amount, so I asked them if I went down on standby, how long would it take to go out. They said if I came down by 6:30 or so, I'd be out within half an hour.

I ended up playing in Carmel instead, so I don't know if I would have gotten out so quickly, but I'd still call the course and inquire for yourself.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:10 PM

The Balboa Park course is long and challenging. I had a 7 handicap in high school and college and play rarely, but I can still do about a 101 - 103 with strict summer rules there.
M
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have provided feedback. I am constantly amazed at the quality of the feedback I receive on this site - and the fact that folks take the extra step and look up websites for others, etc.

I appreciate the feedback on how to get a less expensive tee off time at Torrey Pines. Not sure what we'll do yet - may be worth it to pay a premium (one time!) to make sure we get on a get a tee off time that works for us. We are only in town for three nights and want to maximize our time. Plus, you only turn 40 once, right?

The Coronado sounds like a perfect spot for the second round - thanks for that suggestion.

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as it gets closer to our April trip. I've already taken notes from the archives for fun things to do and restaurants.

Again thanks to all. It's cold in Chicago and I love planning warmer weather vacations!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One more thing about Torrey Pines. The Lodge owners and other business people in San Diego want to redo the North Course. A growing number of San Diegans who are members of the golf club do not want it changed. If work is done on it, the work will start soon after the Buick Invitational, in February, and will take several months.