Reload this Page >

San Diego downtown or La Jolla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Carmen

I'm planning to stay a month (July) in San Diego but I still haven't decided in which part. I'm 28 y.o. I won't have a car. Please, help me to decide.

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Suzie

We stayed downtown at the Embassy Suites in May last year. Found that it was close to the Gaslamp District, Horton Plaza and easy access to the light rail system that took us all over. I can't say that it would be better than La Jolla. A whole month in CA with no car, guy, I can't even mentally process that. Anyway, the Embassy is down by a marina within walking distance of lots.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Joe

You do not mention your interests, only your age so using mass stereotypes I would suggest downtown, more things to do for a prolonged stay.

Q: Why not split your stay 2 weeks/2 weeks? or 3/1 with the 1 being La Jolla?

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:57 AM
kate

ok, a month without a car!! I can;t even imagine. YOu should plan on renting for at least a couple of days each week. Yes, there is a trolley system, but it only goes so far. Downton and La Jolla are 2 entirely different area. If you are downtown (which really encompasses a large area so be careful where you end up) you can walk to gaslamp, horton plaza and have easy access to the trolley. La Jolla doesn't really offer many things to do, once you have walked around downtown-there will be little else. The cove is nice, Scripps Aquarium is nice (but expensive)-like Joe mentioned, what are your interests?

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Carmen

I'll be studying English in the mornings and I hope to do some sightseeing in the afternoons and to enjoy the nightlife (going to clubs,etc). I'd also like to go to the beach at least twice a week. Is there a reliable way of public transport from downtown to the beaches? Which is the nearest beach? I've found two English schools. One of them is located downtown (Broadway with 6 street) so the accomodation would be also downtown (State Street). The other is in La Jolla (Prospect Street) and its accomodation is nearby. I'd like to know how safe these neigborhoods are. I'm used to return home alone walking at night but I'm aware that things could be different in San Diego.

Old May 25th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Daniel Williams

I don't know where you're from but I should warn you that many American cities particularly in the Midwest, West and South are not like European, Canadian or even a significant number of Latin American Cities as far as public transit is concerned. Yes, in this, one of the richest countries in the world, in many cities, believe it or not, public transportation is not adequate to do much of anything. These cities are car-culture central, distances between interesting things is wide; even taxis may not be so forthcoming. Although I've never been to San Diego, it seems from what these posters are saying, that a car is essential here as well.

If you want to want study English in America and live without a car, you may want to try one of the eastern cities, Chicago or possibly Canada. I suspect you'll feel incredibly isolated otherwise.

Good luck

DAN

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:03 AM
PS Local

I would argue that San Diego is ahead of the game as far as public transportation goes. Europe it is not, but the Coaster, Amtrak and the bus system all work well and are linked in a "multi-modal" sense. All that means is that the different forms of transportation come together at common points, i.e. you can get on the bus at or near the station points of the rail system.

The nightlife downtown is definitely better than La Jolla. But the pace and density, noise etc is different in La Jolla since it is more suburban. As far as safety at night, my guess is Prospect is better than downtown (which I don't think is bad anyway) but maybe someone else can comment better. Best of luck.
psl

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:31 AM
paul

I think that downtown is a better choice for you overall. The only problem would be the walk to your accomadation. San Diego has a very safe downtown area in comparison to other cities but walking alone in the downtown area at night still has its degree of risk. Broadway and 6th to State street is not too bad an area for walking however. Downtown offers you a much wider variety of things to do and public transportaion is much better than La Jolla. The nearest beach would probably be Ocean or Mission beach. By bus, about a 15-20 minute ride. Just so you know, being in La Jolla does not mean you are at the beach. Next to the ocean, yes, but the beach you would want is La Jolla Shores and that beach could be out of walking distance and public transportion is very limited. If where you are staying is the La Jolla Shores area, no problem. But if its not, getting to the beach may not be that easy.