Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego Beaches-Are they swimable late April?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:42 AM
MJ

Last minute plans to get some sun and just relax. I'll be taking two teens and would like a place where they can swim and play. If you know of a budget place on or near the beach (prefer a seperate room for the kids and a kitchenette) that would also be appreciated. Thanks. It doesn't have to be San Diego...north would be fine but really looking for warmer waters.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:29 AM
lcuy

the water in San Diego is VERY cold. People surf it year round, but normally with wet suits. I would recommend staying in either pacific beach or mission beach if your kids are older teens. There is a lot going on, and they can bike, skate, or walk along the boardwalk for fun people watching. There are many little shops and the roller coaster at Belmont park is fun. In addition, you can walk on the bay side and go sailing, paddling, and I think the water is a bit warmer if the sun is out. sorry I can't recommend motels, we always stay with family.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:56 AM
lola

not to scare you but last time i was there i saw something in the water, reported it to the lifeguard who barely acknowledged me, then went home to find reports on tv news of great white shark in san diego area. it was a beautiful area tho, just be vigilant

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Jack

We were in LaJolla last March. Our teenage son and toddler swam in the ocean. (sans wet suits) It was chilly, but being from Minnesota we thought it was heaven. There's a surf shop in LaJolla that's real cheap. Your teens might have a blast trying it out!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:30 PM
steve

Expect fairly cold water (62 degrees or so). Don't even worry about sharks- surfed San Diego county for years and never saw one. Let's hope El Nino will keep the water a little warmer. You will probably need a wetsuit unless you will only be in the water less that 10 minutes. Current surf and waterconditions are available at Surline.com (or it may link you to swell.com) and then click into the Live cam section. Water temps do not vary that much up the coast but may be 1 to 2 degrees cooler.