Notices

Chicago Cubs game in April? Too cold?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:30 PM
MD4

Chicago Cubs game in April? Too cold?

I was looking at planning a weekend trip to Chicago, largely in part to surprise my husband by getting tickets to a Cubs game. Due to various factors, the best time for us to go is opening weekend, April 4-5. From Cubs fans I'm hearing that is a terrible time to go and it is very cold. Anyone else ever tried this? Is the weather really that bad? I know it's not an exact science, but weather.com lists the average temp to be around 60 in April. Any help is much appreciated.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:06 PM
x

The weather in April is very hard to predict. Opening Day is generally not exactly balmy, so just dress for it. It's not like going to Bears game in December.

P.S. Your friends who call themselves Cubs fans but thing you should skip Opening Day are not Cubs fans - they're Wrigley Field fans, at best. Opening Day is always sold out and a great tradition.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Jesse

By all means go to the game. We have been having a great winter so far. Thats not to say that Opening W/E will be balmy. It may as well be cold as a polar bears ass in the Klondike. But then again we may hit 75 degrees then. If it is cold grab a couple of brews dress warmly and enjoy the freindly confines. Chances are you will have a great time reguardless of the temp.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 03:55 AM
arjay

If the wind is right, you can get goosebumps sitting in the WF stands in the middle of summer. So do not take lightly the phrase above, "dress warmly"...But, if you are layered and ready for it....you should have a great time!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:52 AM
ang

I agree with arjay. Wrigley Field can be cold in the dead of summer depending on where you sit. Unless you are sitting in the bleachers, you probably won't be in the sun. It is cold in the shadea dn it will be windy no matter the temperature. April could be 60 but it could be 40 with snow as well! WEar lots of layers, you can always peel out of them as it warms up and besides as someone said above, with a few brews you'll be okay anyway. I say go Opening Day, you will have a blast but dress warmly.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
She's Still Here

To ang: Hi, Beth.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:35 AM
chicagoan

Nah, Beth would have said its FREEZING even at 60 degrees. Besides I've been seeing posts by ang for at least 6 months. I have seen Beth hanging out on the Europe board though, guess those arre more her kind of people . . .

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:02 AM
MD4

Thanks everyone for the encouraging news! I will get to work on planning our trip.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:24 AM
jen

If you want to go opening weekend, be sure you get online or on the phone the minute tickets go on sale (Feb. 22)-- these are some of the most popular tickets, and they sell out FAST!
Have fun, this will be the first year in quite awhile that I won't be there!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
She's Still Here

to chicagoan: you're killing me. love it!
to ang: i apologize - you've got B's syntax & spelling skills

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Stephanie P.

MD4:

It's too cold anywhere in the NE to go to a opener. I live in Pittsburgh and froze my behind off on an opener. If I go in April, I go to afternoon games. The sun is out then and its warmer.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Les

We went to a game at Wrigley in May. It was a bright, sunny, pleasant day. The person in front of us at the ticket window asked for a seat "anywhere in the sun". We shouldv'e listened!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Deb

A seat in the bleachers or far down on the first base line will keep you in the sun.

Wrigley is the BEST! Have fun!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:01 PM
K

MD4 -

So what did you decide? Were you able to get tickets or not?