San Diego area Wineries ?

Apr 18th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Chi-Girl

San Diego area Wineries ?

Are there any wineries in the San Diego area? Thanks for your help!

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Dayle

Hi Chi! the nearest vineyards that I know of are in the Temucula Valley which is just over an hour drive northeast of San Diego. One, the Thornton Winery, has jazz concerts spring thru fall on the weekends. It's a small venue, so you must get tickets way ahead. They've been doing this for years & have a huge following. Most performers sell out far in advance. I believe they have a web site.

Have fun!

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Dayle

PS: If you do the concert, be sure to take a sun hat! It can really get hot out there.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM
xxx

if you drive to the wild aninimal park from sd you pass at least one that i remember.

Apr 18th, 2002, 10:33 AM
xxx

Cafe Champagne in the Temecula wine country is one of my favorite restaurants.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:10 PM
jim

Chi-girl, the closest wineries to San Diego are in Escondido which is about 50 miles north and, as one poster has mentioned, the site of the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park. There are 4 wineries in the area but, in my opinion, only one worth visiting and that is Orfila Winery on San Pasqual Road (follow the signs to Wild Animal Park). They have a nice picnic area under an arbor with a nice view over the San Pasqual Valley. Another poster suggested Temecula and I would go there rather than Escondido if you have the time. About another 20 miles north of Escondido. Thornton Winery is somewhat more formal than others with a nice wine tasting served to you at a table. It's about a $10 charge (if I remember correctly) and includes champagne. The winery has a very good, but expensive, restaurant. If you want a sense of an old California winery, Hart Winery on a hilltop on the left side of Rancho California (the road to the wineries)is the first one after you get out of the city and your tasting is in a big old barn and you are surrounded by wine barrels and good red wine. Callaway is the big name but I've never been impressed with their wines although it is a more sophisticated operation than some of the others. Mount Palomar, further down Rancho California on the left side has good Italian-type wines, a nice little deli and a dining area on a patio if you buy from the deli or a very pleasant picnic area outside under trees. The last winery on Rancho California is Wilson Creek which makes an awesome almond-flavored champagne (I know, I know who needs it? No one until you taste it.) They also offer music on weekends and it's pleasant to sit, sip and listen. There are 15 wineries in the Temecula area but don't forget you'll have an hours drive back to San Diego if you are staying there and you will probably only want to take a nap if you have hit several of the wineries. Try not to go on a Sunday. Enjoy.

Apr 28th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Mary

Orfilia Winery is my pick as well. It is 30 miles from San Diego though ( and in my neighborhood here in Escondido). Exit Via Rancho Parkway. Turn right at San Pasqual Road and it's down about 1mile. President Reagan's favorite winery while in the White House. He served wine from this winery when hosting Mexican Pres. years ago. It has beautiful grounds and you should enjoy..Temecula is about 30 minutes north and a long drive if you ask me. Enjoy!!!!!!! The Wild Animal Park is nearby and a great place for the anyone to observe the animals in their natural habitat. Better than the San Diego Zoo.

May 16th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to go to Temecula this Sunday. (I know I should avoid Sundays, but it's my only day off!)

I was wondering if anyone has recently been to MT. PALOMAR WINERY in Temecula. I heard a strange rumor that they are bulldozing the former picnic area to create a restaurant. IS THIS TRUE??

We were looking forward to picnic-ing at one the beautiful vineyards.

SHOULD I GO TO ORFILIA WINERY INSTEAD?

Thanks for your help.
May 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM

betty-I was just out there about two weeks ago. Didn't notice the bulldozers but I only drove by Mt. Palomar. Actually I need to go to South Coast Winery to pick up my wine club selection. I might be able to do that either today or Friday. I can check out Mt. Palomar. Check back on here later in the week and I will let you know.
May 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Hi Paula,

We are leaving early this Sunday (5/20). Do you think you'll post before then?

Thanks so much.

And if you have any other Temecula recommendations, let me know...

Betty
May 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM

betty-Went to Temecula yesterday afternoon. Checked out Mt. Palomar Vineyard. I didn't see any construction but they did have a sign when you drove in that said no picnicking with outside food. Their sign also said that they had a deli. There is picnice tables but look like they would be used after you buy food from the deli.

I checked out Wilson Creek Winery which is a little further out on Rancho California Rd on your right side. They don't have a restaurant on site so can't say much about food. They have a very cute, shaded area by a creek that has tables and we did see several people there with smaller coolers. That is where I would go. It's very nice. Wilson Creek is known for their Almond Champagne if you aren't already familiar with it.

My favorite winery is Ponte. I think they have some of the best wines in the area especially their reds. I like the whites at South Coast Winery. I know there are some smaller wineries in the area that I haven't been to yet. Someone recommended Wiens Winery but I haven't been there yet.

Have a great trip. I think you will enjoy Wilson Creek's picnic area.
May 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Great investigative work, Paula! We're currently negotiating whether to do the orginial plan of exploring Temecula... or just concentrating on ONE very good winery in Escondido... ORFILA WINERY.

I have had a few people highly recommend Orfila, and it looks very relaxed and picnic-able. Plus they do free daily tours of their cellars.

Cheers!
May 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Meant to say Wilson Creek is on your left side on Rancho California Rd. I haven't been to Orfila yet even though it about 25 minutes from my house. The San Pasqual area is very pretty however there is not much else to do there except the one winery.

In Temecula you would have the option of more wineries and could also go to Old Town Temecula and look at the shops if you are tired of wine tasting. Anyway have a fun day.
May 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM

I just had a wine-lover talk me out of going to Temecula. He thought the quality was just not great overall. So it sounds like we'll be checking out ORFILA in Escondido instead.

Best regards!