San Diego Area Local Eateries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for good tips on "local" eateries. We will be in the San Diego area, LaJolla, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Temecula areas. Do not need "atmosphere", just good food with reasonable prices.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM

There is a great Mexican restaurant in Old Town, can't remember the namr hopefully some locals would know this place. The food is terrific, the margaritas are HUGE, you sit outside in a big courtyard with tiny shops and musicians playing. The line gets pretty long so go early for dinner. Hope someone can tell you the name, but otherwise head to the Old Town area and when you get in that courtyard you will see it.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you mean the Casa de Bandini, it's no longer there.

hbo6, please look for your previous posts instead of posting the same questions again. Click on your name and they will appear, with responses, in the left frame.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM

And for the record: Laguna Beach and Newport Beach aren't in the "San Diego" area-- they're up in Orange County.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Barbara,
I don't know if that was the name or not, but when did that place close and why? I'll be bummed if it is the same place, as we are going over Labor Day and I was looking forward to going. That place was always packed, I wonder what happened.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM

vegasnative, I think you may be referring to the Bazaar Del Mundo, the very colorful courtyard which had several restaurants, including the Casa de Pico, and great little shops. The Cas De Bandini was outsied the Bazaar, but still part of it.

The State of California, in it's very dubious wisdom, decided not to renew the lease for this concession to Diane Powers, who had built the whole Bazaar from virtually nothing and had held the lease for about 30yrs. It was the most productive concession in the State Park system. Anyway, they gave it to some outfit from Delaware who have changed it all. The new thing is not getting very good reviews in San Diego, you'll probably see it when you visit. If you have time, maybe you could post something here about your impressions.

The good news is that the Bazaar Del Mundo shops opened last weekend just down the road on the corner of Thomas and Juan, next to the Casa Guadalajara which is also owned by Diane Powers. The Casa also has big margaritas!

You will get more details at www.bazaardelmundo.com
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM

"in its very dubious wisdom"!! My pet peeve and I did it myself! Sorry.