San Diego Area: Cheap-Moderate Eats

Jun 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

San Diego Area: Cheap-Moderate Eats

We (wife, myself, and two 13-year olds) are staying at the Estancia June 18-23 and need to mix in some cheap-moderate priced meals. Does not have to be in LJ area and no specific types of food. We want to avoid rest. chains. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM

This place was made for you!

Filippi's in Little Italy. We have eaten there three times on 2 different trips; it isn't fancy but good old school pizza and hearty entrees.

Last dinner there in May -- we had an antipasto and split a pizza. Both were very good, but the antipasto would have fed 4 as a meal and we couldn't finish the pizza. I think the meal was under $30.
http://www.realcheesepizza.com/

Deb
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Alfonso's in La Jolla for great Marg's and nachos..
Filippi's is good but wouldn't drive 20 miles each way for it..plus, they have locations all over SD.
Happy Hour at the Crab Catcher in LJ..George's at the Cove on the Terrace is excellent..
El Pescador in LJ for a fish sandwich or Burger Lounge..
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM

I figured that when the OP said "cheap -moderate" that was what he meant. I loved our meal at George's but it wouldn't fit those requirements in my book for 4 people.

So, scorry, how much DO you want to spend for dinner?

ksucat, I knew there were other Filipi's, just didn't know if they were closer to LJ.

Deb
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM

We are cheap-moderate travelers and we love San Diego. In two short getaways here we have eaten at several good solid eateries that don't break the bank. Both trips we ate at Fillippi's in Little Italy and had great food and too much of it. We've also enjoyed Phil's BBQ, The Dumpling Inn, and El Indio, but our favorite eating experience was at Hodad's in Ocean Beach. If you are down this far any of these would work.
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Can't remember the name of it but we found a fantastic Thia resturant close to the Hilton in Del Mar, don't know if that's anywhere close to where you'll be. The food was out of this world and was very reasonably priced, they did take away too (carry out) and we took our food to the beach and watched the dolphins and the sunset.
Jun 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Try Roberto's--it's a "chain" of local taquerias--ate at the one near the Town & Country--excelente!
Jun 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM

The cheapest restuarants tend to be off the tourist track, of course or take out.
One of my favorite places for take out is Jimbo's Natural Food store off the Del Mar Heights Road. The high quality food is relatively cheap because it's take out.

Trader Joe's stores also offer a variety of take out food, sushi, salads and sandwiches that are quite good, plus good deals on beer and wine. take out.

If you looking for inexpensive Mexican go to Cotijas and order the Shrimp Burrito. Basically, it's perfectly cooked shrimp, sour cream, cilantro and salsa on a wonderful flour tortilla. I'm sure everything else there is good- haven't tried it. Someone told me they've opened one up on Garnet Ave.

Near Sports Arena you'll find Santana's take out, (they too are a local chain- pretty good. Rubios is another chain- good fish taco if you don't mind high fat.

Perry's cafe- long lines but they serve a reasonable breakfast, split the meal it's huge.

Same area- Fairouz Cafe - interesting place, nice people and good food. Meditaranian sorry about spelling. Buffet or plate service.
Filipis is excellent, San Diegans eat there too.

Haven't eaten at Lotsa Pasta in Pacific Beach for a long time but it used to be good.

I don't know how healthy you like things but for a light and healthy breakfast there is a juice bar and a fresh bread bakery in the same shopping mall on Garnet Ave. They are just east of the Tuesday Morning store, sorry I don't know the address I only know where it is. I love to get a wheatgrass and apple juice with lemon but they have other juices including a fruit and yogurt bowl that looks very filling. I stick to the wheat/apple and go to the bread store next door for a slice of whatever's fresh that day.

Lots of Thai and Vietnamese food around town too.
Jun 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Deeb, George's Terrace is pretty moderate and one of my favorites. The California Modern part, downstairs, is expensive.