Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego, Gaslamp, where to meet for drinks, then for dinner...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meeting some friends in downtown San Diego in the gaslamp for drinks, then we are going to walk to dinner somewhere. I know a lot of the old places, but a lot of new ones have popped up in the last year. Any ideas on some new spots? Or the tried and true that we haven't tried yet?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a place called The Grape. They had a great wine list, specializing in "flights" so you can try several different types. They also had great appetizers (we had the baked brie - wow!) My husband and I go to SD a couple times a year, and we personally prefer dining in La Jolla, but I know the Gaslamp is the place to be!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM

For steaks, seafood, chicken & pasta, try Lou and Mickeys at 224 Fifth St.. (www.louandmickeys.com).
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree with Lou and Mickeys. One of our favorite places to eat and drink. I was thinking it might be a little expensive for our other couple, but maybe I shouldn't worry about that.

Anyone try the Strip Steak place? Where you cook your own steak? Or the Tiki Lounge?

We wanted to go one place for drinks, than another not real far, for dinner. Italian would be OK, but that is such the obvious choice. And how do you pick the best Italian in the Gaslamp???
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Depends on the atmosphere you're looking for. As far as drinks are concerned - I love the Gaslamp Strip Club (the place where you cook your owm steaks). They have a great bar. I also really like Thin (a lounge that is upstairs - downstairs is a club called Onyx). Chive is a very cool, very modern and pricey lace with a good bar.

For Italian - really nothing good in the Gaslamp anymore but if you're willing to cab it over to Little Italy (under $10, just the next neighborhood over) I'd vote for PoPazzo. Very, very good...
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you been to the Altitude Skybar in the Marriott Gaslamp yet? It's supposed to have great views (22 floors up).
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Kal

If Nectar is still open, they had one heck of a pork loin...and a very good wine list.

Located in the Prava Hotel.

Croce's was good too but you're looking for newbie's soooo.

Hey Barb! Can you send some cool SD sea breezes up our way??
Kal
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Barbara,

I've tried it. I almost suggested it as it was a nice spot but be warned,

1. If you are going on a thurs, fri or sat night the lines to get up there are loooooong.
2. If it is a chilly evening, you'll freeze. They aren't allowed to have patio heaters for fire code reasons. They do offer fleece or chenille thrown to wrap around you but really, do you want to use a possibly dirty blanket and sit around with it wrapped up when you're trying to socialize with friends?

You could also try the JBar at the new Solmar hotel - it's also rooftop and is just a couple blocks away. Haven't been to that one (only it's downstairs counterpart). The lines are long there too though...

If you do go to Little Italy and want a rooftop expeience you could try the W Hotel - it's right there on Columbia and it's popularity has waned a bit so the lines are not bad at all.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info,Alice.

Kal, we have cool breezes right on the coast, but inland it's HOT!!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

WOW, great ideas. I have not been to the new Marriott or the Solmar Hotel. I have been to the W a few times. We prefer the lobby. The upstairs is just a little too much for us. We are early 50's and don't like loud places or all really all young crowds. We like sophisticated but not stuffy.

Last time we got together we ate at Cafe Pacifica, which was our style.

I agree about Little Italy and have not tried the PoPazzo yet, but have read about it. Hard to believe that there are no good Italian restaurants in the Gaslamp anymore. What about Panevino or DeMedici's?

We are thinking about taking the trolley from Old Town and into the gaslamp. How far is the station to, say, the Gaslamp Strip Club?