San Diego and where in January

Nov 17th, 2007, 04:42 AM
LRL
Original Poster

San Diego and where in January

My husband and I plan to go to San Diego in January, when I will be about five months pregnant. We have a week, and were thinking about dividing up our time between San Diego and another nearby destination. We are considering Palm Springs. Any other suggestions? Thakns!
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:24 AM

What sorts of things are you interested in doing on your trip?
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Where are you from? It can be chilly in Palm Springs in Jan. ... if you are expecting 90 degree temps you will not find them in S.D. or likely Palm Springs.

I always like to recommend La Jolla - what is your budget?
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
LRL
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We are from Philadelphia. We will definitely go to La Jolla while we're in San Diego. We are now thinking about Borrego Springs.
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Borrego Springs is a nice day trip from SD, if you like deserts. Julian makes a nice little stop along the way.
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
TahitiTams

Where are you staying in SD?

Nov 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM
LRL
Original Poster

We are staying at US Grant in San Diego (we have Starwood points). We decided on Casa del Zoro for a couple of night as a treat (it being a babymoon and all). Thanks for your help!
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
TahitiTams

We just stayed at the US Grant in May for the weekend and it was wonderful! GM, Victor is a friend of mine and has done a great job..
Grant Grill in the hotel is outstanding!
Casa del Zorro is another great property and love this place..our room was an upstairs unit with a beautiful fireplace..food is really good there too!
Have a great time in SD!

Nov 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Consider going to the Wild Animal Park, which we enjoy more than the zoo. Take the photo caravan tour. This tour is done using benches in the back of a truck. You get to hand feed rhino, and giraffe. The Wild Animal Park is about 30 miles north of San Diego. You could see La Jolla along the way. The park is owned by the zoo. This tour requires no walking, and is only slightly bumpy a couple of times along the way. You could take a train/tram tour. You will not be as close nor get to feed animals on that tour.
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM

When we went to San Diego we were on our way to Palm Springs to visit with friends for a long week-end. We spent about 10 days in the S CA area. Among the things we enjoyed outside of SD(FWIW):

*La Jolla, of course
*Mission at San Juan Capistrono
*Nixon Presidential Library in (Orba Linda)? I can't remember exactly where right now.
*Drive thru 29 Palms and on thru Joshua Tree Natl Park
*The drive from Joshua to Jerome goes near the Salton Sea and some 'ground eruptions' resulting along the San Andreas fault.

Plenty of areas in Joshua for extremely non-strenious hikes (very flat).