San Diego and More

Apr 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

San Diego and More

We have a college reunion in San Diego in the late fall where everything is planned for 3 days. We have been there before and to La Jolla . We would like some suggestions perhaps heading toward Mexico or some lovely sightseeing areas south of San Diego. A little leary about venturing into Mexico right now. Palm Springs area could be one alternative. We have 2 and 1/2 to 3 days. Any suggestions? We like nice hotels.
thanks,
jeanne
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM

You can fly into Cabo which is less than a 2 hour flight from SD and direct..gorgeous hotel resorts line the Gulf and the Pacific ocean..you can do a flight/hotel package.
Some great deals going on and September is gorgeous time of year.
Palm Springs/Palm Desert would be another place to have a great time..less than 2 hour drive from SD..we like Rancho Las Palmas or La Quinta.

Las Vegas is another thought and the Wynn Las Vegas or the Encore is a stunning 5* hotel and flights out of SD are cheap with Southwest and about an hour to get there..great deals for around $100 for hotel.

Catalina is perfect in September and the jazz fest goes on early Oct..love Avalon!
Take the Catalina Express over..less than 2 hours.

SD in the fall is one of my favorite times since the tourist have left and we love the Grand Del Mar resort in Del Mar or the Lodge at Torrey Pines in La Jolla..
L'Auberge Del Mar is another beautiful resort.
Check Expedia.com to get an idea on prices for all the above and try direct too.
Apr 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't go into Mexico right now, the border areas are the worst for the danger. Personally, I can never get enough of just hanging out in the San Diego area itself. Two and a half more days to enjoy being near the water sounds great to me.
Apr 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Between swine flu and drug wars I think I'd scratch Mexico.

The Palm Springs area can be nice if you are going in October. Sometimes you get some great Priceline rates at the resorts around that time, eg the Hyatt at Indian Wells or La Quinta.
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:35 AM

>>or some lovely sightseeing areas south of San Diego<<

What about driving to Anza Borrego Desert State Park with a stop in Julian?

Around Julian, you find gentle hills and meadows. Julian is a pretty town which is famous for its apples (and apple-pies). Anza Borrego is a scenic desert. There are two or three very nice hotels in the park.
Apr 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM

We spent a couple of nights at the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage a few days ago, it was very nice. We booked under the Timeshare for $69/night which was a great rate for this property. Rancho Las Palmas is a very pretty resort, we enjoyed dinner there at the BluEmber. The Esmeralda Resort in Indian Wells is very pretty, also. ***kim***
Aug 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

We have decided, since I have never been to LA and must see it oncein my life, that we will spend a few days there before going to San Diego. We will be staying at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. We are looking for interesting restaurants that are not necessarily over the top but very nice and not too far from the hotel. Any really great Italian restaurants? We like seafood and Italian best. Also. for the 2 and 1/2 days we have for sightseeing,etc, what would be most interesting? We know about the Getti Museum and will go there.This may be my only time visiting this city so I want to see the most important parts.
Thanks for anyone's suggestions