Where to golf on Kauai

Search

Where to golf on Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to golf on Kauai

My husband and I are planning a trip to Kauai and are looking for a good place to go golfing. We are what most would consider 'average' golfers. We golf at home but neither of us are great (depending on the day I guess) We would like to go somewhere that is going to be a great experience for us but we don't want to be looked down upon because we're not excellent golfers. Oh, we'll probably need to rent clubs as we're not going to haul ours all the way from home...(too big and too cumbersome for our needs). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM

dh considers himself average, his fave courses are Puakea, Kauai Lagoons and Kukuiolono (9-hole and kind of a dive but affordable), in that order. he’s also the one holding the ‘quiet’ sign for grand slam, but doesn’t care for that course.

as far as being looked down upon, that won’t happen, MOST golfers are courteous, patient and there to have fun. dh can count on one hand how many a-holes he’s run into but have met people from all over the world. few call on him to golf when they return.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai-golf.html

Have fun.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM

i should've said, being looked down upon "shouldn't" be a problem, juuuust in case
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Kauai Lagoons, Poipu Bay, and Princeville are considered the top notch golf courses.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Because we live in Princeville. DH golfs the Prince and Makai courses. But when our son and wife visited this summer, they gasped at the greens fees ($120 each) -- and opted for the (municipal) Wailua course instead ($25 each). My son golfs at least weekly; his wife, 2-3 times monthly...and they came back RAVING about Wailua:
http://www.golfersweb.com/wailua.htm

So of course, son and DH headed to Wailua the next day for a round (!!). DH came home a new fan of the Wailua course -- which can get very crowded on weekends, but was fine for their late-morning round.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'll have to take a look into the different courses you've mentioned.

We had considered the grand slam course just to say we had done it, but it sounds like it might be a bit stuffy for our taste?

I really like the green fee prices at the municipal course and it sounds like it would be enjoyable.

When we go we'll have to make sure to try and avoid weekend golf as I would guess most courses become crowded during that time.

Has anyone heard about the change of hands with Kauai Lagoons? I was checking them out and I saw something about it being sold in August. Just curious if that has changed any opinions.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I have golfed at many courses on at least four islands and I will say that the municipal course on Kauai was quite enjoyable.

Now, you may not get some of the sweeping vistas that are provided at Kapalua on Maui, but if you are duffers you are not supposed to be distracted by scenic vistas.

Just play the game and save the sight-seeing for later.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Just a report now that I'm back from Hawaii. Thanks for all the advice. Here's my take...

Princeville Makai - a great everyday course. Relaxed.

Princeville Prince - brutal, but a nice challange, and beautiful

Kauai Lagoons - would have been great if the clubhouse and ocean 9 holes were open. Ritz Carlton has purchased the property and are in the middle of heavy construction. Kind of a bummer.

Poipu Bay - My favorite. It's the perfect resort golf course. And I shot a great round, which always helps.

Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM

kauai_aka mentioned Kukuiolono. Golfers in our family: husband a good golfer, daughter a beginner, son-in law very good, consider Kukuiolono in Kalaheo a unique, fun, non-threatening golfing experience when we're in Kauai. At least to play once. Our long-stay neighbors love Wailua too.

Kukuiolono has incredibly reasonable rentals and cart, rustic compared to resort courses but in best shape in years, complete with roosters and incredible views. Non-threatening, with wide open fairways. Have met interesting locals, and people from all over the world. A full 9 hole Par 36, 2 par 5's, relaxed, non intimidating.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Over the years, we have been to Kauai several times and my husband has played several of the courses mentioned above. He considers the Wialua course one of his favorites--and the price is great. He's played with many locals, all of whom have been very friendly. He was quite a good golfer in earlier days, but at 77, he's slowed down a bit. The course has some nice views and it is fun to play. The last time we were there (2006) he played thee times each week--a few times he had to wait, but it was not a problem. Ciao. mhm
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM

I've found that local golf shops usually have the best rental rates; also cheaper balls, etc. (Though I'm so cheap I bring my own). They also often have fun local logo stuff.