San Antonio Thanksgiving

Search

San Antonio Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio Thanksgiving

Need ideas for spending time with an 8 year old in San Antonio at Thanksgiving. We plan to get there on Monday and stay thru Friday. The Alamo is a given -- what else would be good to see? Also, are the schools out Thanksgiving week? Our schools are out that whole week (that's why we are going then!)
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Schools aren't out the whole week, no.
Your 8 yo can have a great time. It may be a bit cool for the waterparks (but maybe not - you never know!) but there is a kids museum and a neat zoo and the Witte museum has lots of kid-friendly exhibits. The Riverwalk christmas lights are turned on the day after Thanksgiving and there is usually a river parade as part of that, complete with Santa. Check out http://www.sanantoniocvb.com
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:04 PM

If you like to hike, Enchanted Rock is nice:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/enchantd/enchantd.htm
Also, Inks Lake State Park is beautiful with deer that will eat from your hand:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/
There is so much to do in this part of Texas you could spend a month there...
You also may be blessed with great weather!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:10 PM

Try traveltex.com or mysanantonio.com
Also, the RiverRide is relaxing and interesting enough for an 8-year-old. Drive up to Johnson City and over toward Fredericksburg for a look at the original Texas White House of LBJ, then to Kerrville and back down to I-10 and over to SA. The Circus Museum, Institute of Texan Cultures, La Villita, Missions tour are other options.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:42 AM

In addition to the Alamo, go see the other 4 missions on the Mission Trail. All of them are still functioning churches and San Jose has a wonderful visitors center with an award-winning film narrated by Tish Hinojosa, a tejano music star.

The San Antonio Zoo is really good. Your 8 year old will enjoy it!

Enchanted Rock is a personal favorite, as is shopping in Fredricksburg. The deer at Enchanted Rock were really tame, too.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:01 PM

Normally, I'd suggest a trip to SeaWorld too, but in November, they're open weekends only. Six Flags Fiesta Texas probably is too.

Here's a few other suggestions:
* Witte Museum (the treehouse area is EXCELLENT for kids)
* San Antonio Zoo
* Brackenridge Park (ride the train) note that both the Witte and the Zoo are at Brackenridge...

* Natural Bridge -- plan it for a full day and do *both* the caverns and the drive-through safari park

The missions are great, but will likely bore a kid. Ditto historical sites like the Spanish Governors mansion, Casa Navarro etc. Personally, I like the art museum (located in a brewery), but again, an 8 year old will probably be bored by it.

Keep in mind that Austin is only about an hour away by car (straight shot up I-35). Lots more stuff to do there...send me a note for details, or see some of the info I have on my web page: www.tiogringo.com

Hope this helps!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com