Search

San Antonio - Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio - Car

We are headed to San Antonio this weekend (4 days) for my husband's Birthday. We want to do all the major sites and possibly a few outside of the city center. Should we rent a car for the entire trip of just pick one up for a day or two? Also, we know it's going to be hot. Are we going to be able to do anything outside? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (staying at the Emily Morgan)
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM

You'll want a car, I think. You might like to go to Austin or Fredricksburg. Bid on Priceline for a good deal.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM

This is a hard area to get around in without a car. If you were just staying downtown, and sightseeing there, you could manage without one.

Southwest.com compares prices for different rental agencies and for this weekend, Thurs through Sund, you can get a midsize for about $75 plus tax I think. If you compare the cost for getting a car for 1 or 2 days, be sure to add in any fees charged in getting to your hotel (taxi, shuttle, etc)
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Not sure what you mean by major sites. You can walk around the downtown tourist zone, but to venture anywhere outside there a car is necessary (public transport in SA is the pits.) If you know where/when you want to go you can decide about how many days to have the car. Keep in mind, though, that for many companies anything over three days might qualify for a weekly rate. And depending on where you are staying, there may be fees for parking (sometimes pretty darn steep.)
Check out Enterprise - they will come to your hotel and pick you up.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
dmlove

Don't skip the King William district - great houses, and a fun place to have lunch or tea - the Mad Hatter Tea House. You can drive if you have a car, or take the shuttle if you don't. You'll need a car to get outside the city - we went to Gruene, the Natural Bridge Caverns and Austin. The days we were in San Antonio, the car stayed parked in the hotel garage.

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I was looking at the map and New Braunfels, the Quadalupe river and the hill country doesn't seem too far for a day trip. I think I'll look into renting a car for just a day (hotel charges $25 a day to park). We are very comfortable using public transportation and it looks like the trolley and the #7 bus will bring us to some of the sites. Also, we are arrive late on Friday night and hate to have to pick up the car and find out way to the hotel. A cab is sooooo much easier. Any "must do's"?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM

The San Antonio airport and car rentals are VERY compact and easy. Admittedly, the hotel parking rate is exorbitant, and I'd think there are other options. San Antonio is VERY spread out.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Rocky - on the trolley you can get to the Market Square (El Mercado) area where you will find most of the items that you would find at Mexican border town shops (but with air conditioning!) as well as assorted other tacky tourist things. In that area is the Museo Alameda, if that interests you. The restaurants there are pretty pedestrian but draw a big (mostly tourist) crowd.
Also using the trolley you can get to the King William area and nearby Southtown funky/artsy area. In that area, Rosario's restaurant is a must-do in my book - great Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex food, and the best chocolate flan you will ever eat.
Your hotel is literally across the street from the Alamo, and an easy stroll to the Riverwalk.
The Missions are definitely worth a visit but better reserved for when you have your car.
If you enjoy zoos the #7 bus will take you to the SA Zoo, as well as the SA Museum of Art, Botanical Gardens, and Witte museum. Across the street from the Witte is Picante Grill, excellent Mexican food at reasonable prices.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
dmlove

You can WALK to the Mercado!!

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM

dmlove - yep, sure can, but in summer heat and humidity it is not much fun!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM

If you do get a car, go see the Mission Trail. It's very educational, and the missions are beautiful!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
CIB

Yes, you will need a car for San Antonio. Not really for the Riverwalk area, but for outlying areas.

You will love the Emily Morgan. We stayed there for a girls' weekend and it was beautiful...easy walk to the riverwalk right past the Alamo.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are amazing. I love this site and all you fodorites! We are going to rent a car (at least for a few days), so I am off to search the internet for last minute deals... Wish me luck
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, one more thing. I would like to set up a massage for my husband. Any nice spas near the Emily Morgan? Thanks again
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Try the Watermark www.watermarkhotel.com