San Antonio and Austin - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to San Antonio and Austin with my two college roommates in October to celebrate our 60th birthdays. We are looking for recommendations for hotels. We will have a car, but want to stay in a convenient area. Doesn't have to be right on the River Walk, but we are completely unfamiliar with the area. Looking for a hotel that would act as our base as we explore the areas so it doesn't have to be super fancy, but it has to be clean, in a safe area and a reasonable distance from sight seeing. Thanks very much!!

Last edited by MaddyG; Aug 7th, 2023 at 01:30 PM. Reason: change title
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 01:40 PM
P_M

Welcome from someone in Austin, turning 60 in September. 😀

What is your budget?

Do you have any questions about Austin?
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:53 PM

By October this hellish heat dome should have dissipated!
There are loads of hotels in central/downtown San Antonio ranging from low end to posh. Suggest you have a look at a site like booking.com where you can stratify by brand, location, cost and ratings.
Not sure what your touristic interests involve - the historic missions, for example, are south of downtown and having a car is a plus to make the circuit. There are some nice museums easily reached from downtown if you are into that. You can get lots of info at the Visit San Antonio web site. The Riverwalk is right in downtown, with extensions both north (Museum Reach) and south (Mission Reach) and is crammed with all sorts of restaurants - unfortunately that includes some chains that got in before we passed a local ordinance prohibiting that, but there are still some decent options.

Do you have a preferred cuisine? There are some good dining options off the Riverwalk, and the artsy funky Southtown area has some good restaurant options including Bliss which is an excellent choice for an indulgent birthday dinner. Leche de Tigre gets good reviews for its Peruvian ceviche. If you would like excellent Mexican forgo Riverwalk places and try Paloma Blanca on Broadway or for delectable TexMex hit La Fonda on Main. Budro's bistro is a jewel on the Riverwalk.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:33 PM

No help with San A,, MaddyG, but I loved my Austin hotel:

Austin Getaway

Happy 60th!
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 08:04 PM

I have stayed twice at the Omni La Mansion on the Riverwalk. The first time was with my husband and the second was with my high school girlfriends (we were in our mid-50’s). Loved the hotel and location. It was fun to stay right on the Riverwalk!

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/sa...ansion-del-rio
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - turning 60 in October. We will have 4 nights in Austin Planning one day in the Hill country. What would you recommend doing for three days in Austin and should we do the Hill country ourselves or do a tour? Budget for hotel - up to $300 including taxes (of course, less would be great). Thank you so much and happy almost birthday!
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 09:40 AM
P_M

I don't know if they have tours of the Hill Country, but I wouldn't take one. Most people enjoy Fredericksburg, and if you enjoy hiking I would recommend a visit to nearby Enchanted Rock. If hiking isn't your thing, Fredericksburg has a lot of antique shops and good German food.

If you like history you should visit the LBJ Ranch. It has a lot of history about LBJ but it also reflects the history of Texas. The LBJ Ranch is in Stonewall which is also near Fredericksburg. Be sure to stop at the Visitor's Center for info before driving around the Ranch.

Another Hill Country attraction I like is the Vanishing River Cruise. It's very relaxing with great scenery. You'll find this near Burnet TX. (pronounced Burn it).

As for Austin, what interests you? Museums, water activities, music, history? If nothing else, please visit the Capitol. Tours are free. Give me some ideas for what you want to do in Austin and I'll help if I can.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 05:20 PM

If you plan to hit the Hill Country, check out the Texas Wine Trail
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Seamus - Thanks very much!

Last edited by MaddyG; Aug 21st, 2023 at 06:07 AM. Reason: want to add person
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

P_M - thank you for these ideas - will look into them. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel in a convenient area?
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:51 AM
P_M

Hi Maddy. The big splurge would be the Driskill. It's out of your budget but it's very historic and it's bursting at the seams with charm, personality and a few spooks. It's also right in the heart of downtown.

If you don't want the big splurge then look at other hotels between the MLK and the river and you'll be within walking distance of major sights. Another area that's very trendy these days is South Congress, but that will be a longer walk to the Capitol and the museums.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 02:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay on the Riverwalk, fun experience! Take a boat ride too.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Happy Trvlr - thanks - we are staying at Omni - someone previously recommended. Will look into boat ride!