Search

CO Early November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2023, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO Early November

A friend's daughter is getting married in Littleton, CO on Nov. 11 and my husband and I plan to stay for 4-5 days into the next week to spend some time with the bride's parents after the wedding. The couple lives in Boulder and our friends have been there often and explored Rocky Mtn National Park, too. Outside of a drive across I-70 I have little experience in the state. We'd like to have one base from which we can do day trips. We like easy hikes & wildlife, western history, some museums and cultural centers, etc. I know we could just explore Denver and probably be kept busy, but we're really interested in more outdoor things and a smaller city. I think we would prefer to avoid the ski towns on this trip given the time of year-not quite winter but obviously a chance of snow in high elevations. Do people have any suggestions? Fort Collins maybe? Seems like Taos is too far. (Yes, I know its a ski city but my sense is that there is more there. Loved Santa Fe.)

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions?
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, Taos is too far. If you want a small city with great hiking check out Glenwood Springs CO. There is a great paved hiking/biking trail east of town along the Colorado River into the Glenwood Canyon. There is a good bus service up to Aspen (41 miles). Also in town is the world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool near the two big old hotels. There are plenty of more modern motel/hotel rooms as well. There is a cable gondola ride up to the Glenwood Cavern.
My favorite way to arrive in Glenwood Springs is on the Amtrak California Zephyr. The train leaves Denver Union intermodal station shortly after 8AM every morning and arrives in Glenwood Springs about 2PM. Seeing the Glenwood Canyon from the train sure beats driving through it on I-70. If you wanted to stay closer to Denver and see Rocky Mt. NP, you can also take the train up to Fraser/Winter Park without the hassle of renting a car. There is a great light rail into the Denver station from the Denver airport.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Ft. Collins is a cool town with two historic downtowns. However, there's not a lot to do there and you're 45 minutes from the mts. Colorado Springs has a lot to do/see and you're not too far from the mts.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:38 AM

Seeing the Glenwood Canyon from the train sure beats driving through it on I-70.

I don't agree with this. There is a wonderful exhibit along the road showing how the highway was cantilevered over the river--and the dangers of workers doing that work.
I don't know that I would totally avoid the ski towns that early, but there is no doubt there could be snow. Our son was married in Denver on a 75* blue sky day in early October and the next day we drove through 6 inches of snow to Breckenridge where it was 17^!!! Colorado weather is always "fun".
Durango might be a fun hangout. Or stay somewhere in Summit County--Frisco or Dillon and explore that area.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As you already realize, for an increased chance of more pleasant November weather, and better hiking conditions, I'd be tempted to stick to the Front Range (anywhere from CO. Springs to Ft. Collins) rather than head up into the high country in the middle of tweener season. As Gretchen notes however, your guess is as good as mine.

Since wildlife is high on your list the best place is RMNP, and it sounds like your friends would be good guides. Fort Collins does tick off your checklist OK, but anyplace along there could work.
https://www.visitftcollins.com/thing.../?locale=en-US

Old Aug 26th, 2023, 01:55 PM

I hate to be discouraging on this point --- given the time of year-not quite winter but obviously a chance of snow --- it is winter in the mountains and much more than a chance that it will be snowing in mid Nov. The ski areas will be open and quite active. A lot of good deals just prior to Thanksgiving will be available. We could even have snow in Denver by that time but Denver should be still in the Fall mode. Hiking the mountains would be very iffy and even so along the front range. Just depending on weather, trailridge road in RMNP will probably be closed but it could be open but it is day to day at that time of year. You could try Glenwood Springs for a location. Possibility of the wine country just east of Grand Junction and Aspen could be nice at that time of year. Weather permitting, Leadville and the Mineral Belt trail is a real gem for either hiking or biking. I prefer biking since it is ten miles long but it is flat with only one hill -- but it is a long one. Boulder and Ft. Collins are nice but are college towns and are a real zoo on a home football weekend. At that time of year you might find it better to just stay in Denver. We have a lot to offer.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, but RMNP was not an option this trip. I DO realize there could be snow, etc. I think we've settled on staying in Manitou Springs, with day trips to Garden of the Gods and other local areas. if the weather is good maybe take the cog railway up pikes peak. Any suggestions now that we've settled on an area are welcome!
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in the area and can make a few suggestions, but I'm a bit confused about this:

my husband and I plan to stay for 4-5 days into the next week to spend some time with the bride's parents after the wedding. The couple lives in Boulder

Boulder and Manitou Springs are no where near each other, so I assume you plan to travel to Manitou with this other couple? Just trying to understand the plan.

I was at the top of Pikes Peak day before yesterday - hadn't been up there in 30 years, so it was interesting to see the new Summit House - we drove, so had to purchase a timed entry permit, but if taking the cog, you'll need to plan well in advance and work out the parking logistics.

As for other things to see and do in the area, you might consider visiting the Wolf Wildlife Sanctuary near Divide (about 20 miles west of Manitou Springs), a drive up to Cripple Creek and Victor (Cripple Creek is a former gold mining camp turned gambling town, but the drive to get there is pretty - you might see some Big Horn Sheep, the victorian buildings are mildly interesting and there's a nice Heritage Center, a mine tour and a train - not sure of operating times though).

Nearby Victor is not much to get excited about, but they've recently expanded the gold mine there, which is both interesting and depressing, and here you'll find Rita the Rock Planter, a giant wood troll sculpture created by Danish recycle art activist Thomas Dambo. It's only been there a few weeks - we drove up to see it a few days ago and found it quite interesting.

https://www.wolfeducation.org/

https://www.colorado.com/history-mus...eritage-center

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...ator-colorado/

Rita the Rock Planter

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and sorry if I confused. We're not going to Boulder. Wedding is in Littleton. Thanks for the tips in the Manitou Springs areas. We have several troll sculptures here at the Maine Botanical Gardens, been there 4? years or so. Saw them last summer. So much fun!