Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City/Park City Olympic Bar Scene???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Paul

OK, don't laugh but I am wondering if there are any fun bar areas in downtown Salt Lake City or nearby. At the Olympics it looks at night as if they are always showing the Park City area. I will be in Salt Lake City next week staying right downtown (Marriott City Centre) and am looking for any fun sports bars or places where people might be congregating (is that an interesting choice of words) for the games. Also, does anybody know what my odds are of getting tickets for the evening awards ceremonies and concerts.

Thanks in advance,

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Gotta Laugh

To paraphrase WC Fields, I spent a year in Salt Lake City one night.

There are some places downtown, a couple of brewpubs. But---you will be behind the Zion curtain. You have to join a "club" to have a drink, that is, unless the legislature passed some special exemption covering the period of the Winter Games. Who know---they seem to be pretty flexible, like making the airport a sovereign nation or something so there could be bars.

A couple years ago a business associate and I were in town overnight. We decided to have dinner and after spending an hour and a half looking for a decent steakhouse where you could *actually* have wine with dinner, settled on this so-so spot. We watched the server, a 20-something woman, fumble with the bottle for about a minute before we realized she had never opened a bottle of wine before! The corkscrew might as well have been a space shuttle control panel. We opened it for her. She fled back to the kitchen and we figured she was on her knees praying (not for us--we were already doomed to hell) but for herself, since she had to touch a bottle of liquor.

Anyway, tough sledding in SLC. Clearly, the scene at Park is far superior and worth going there instead.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Barbara

There are lots of bars in Salt Lake to congregate - Budweiser has a venue setup with entertainment also. There are plenty of scalpers selling tickets to the medals plaza concerts. Also there is a ticket exchange at 200 South Main Street where tickets are available to trade and purchase. Have fun!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Dayle

Hi Paul! Yes, there are lots of fun bars in SLC & in Park City too! You can get a bottle of wine (or bring your own purchased in UT to any restaurant) and have it opened by a professional server. The poster above, if his/her experience really happened, is one of those sad people who make generalized assumptions about a place or people based on a very limited experience.

You might enjoy Greenstreet's Social Club at Trolley Square, Ports O'Call downtown right in the middle of the Olympic action, or the Zephyr Club for live bands also downtown.

Park City has too many options to mention. After all, we started out as a mining town and have morphed into a ski town. Some of our better restaurants are in historic buildings that used to be brothels....

The party is on and believe me everyone is having a great time - except the Canadian pairs skaters! Enjoy - this IS the place!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Bob

No I believe the story about the woman that was afraid she was going to hell because she touched wine. Mormons are very strange indeed. A related story:

I worked in a group that included 6 Mormons. One holiday season the vice-president of the group took us all (along with spouse/guest) to a VERY nice and VERY expensive dining establishment. It was a very enjoyable evening, and those of us that chose to do so had some cocktails, very nice wines with dinner, etc. Of course the Mormons and their spouses did not, and that was OK. After dinner was complete, dessert was served. Dave, one of the Mormons, ordered a dessert that everyone else (non-Mormon that is) knew was made with brandy. He had never been in a nice place like this and had no concept of these kind of desserts. No one said anything, but we all wondered what he was doing. Dessert was served, and Dave proceeded to dig in. After a few bites, he was bragging how good it was and was wondering what was in it. I said, "Well, Dave, it is an alcohol based dessert, using brandy as the main ingredient"...he turned white as a sheet, gagged, and then PUKED all over the white table cloth and everyone around him. He shook, cried, and begged God to forgive him and he knew he was doomed to hell for letting brandy touch his lips. Sick eh????

Ah those Mormons.....

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:00 AM
wow

Yep they are a strange bunch OK

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Joe Smith

If you even smell wine you will go to hell, and don't even think about coffee oh my God that will surely condemn you to the flames of Hades.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Need A Drink

Where is the best place in Utah to buy MadDog 20/20 or Ripple or Night Train Express?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:37 AM
lucky

As a non-Mormon living in PC for over 20 years and working in downtown SLC, I can aver that the negative stories and perceptions of liquor laws, lack of bars, and nice restaurants in SLC/Park City are grossly over stated.
I have noticed that in this forum that Dayle usually has some sage wisdom regarding any questions regarding Park City or Salt Lake.

Paul if you are staying at the Marriott City Centre it is the new one and is located on 2nd South and State and overlooks the Galivan Centre which is where the Budweiser Pavillion is hosting parties each night during the Olympics.
You would be withing walking distance to several sports bars and at the very least a light rail ride to others.
Green Street used to be a whoop it up place but I have not been there.
Port-O-Call is very popular as is a new place called Splash. There is a new Sky Club Bar in the new Gateway Plaza near the Delta Center.
While it is true that most of the "drinking only" venues which serve drinks more than just beer are referred to as Private Clubs and hence require a 'Membership'. It is not all that difficult to get in. Most sell a 2 week membership for $5, but the easiest way is to just ask the hostess to ask someone to sponsor you. Believe me it will be no problem and they will be glad to ask someone to sponsor you, as it is a lot easier for them to do that than to try to explain the idosyncratic quirks in the laws. Make no mistake, drinking in SLC or PC is alive and well.
Also, any of the nicer restruants will have alcohol and wine. And because they are serving food, do not necessarily come under the baliwick of a Private Club...although all of the Private Clubs are also restrauants. If you are now confused Dayle will explain it better..

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:41 AM
lucky

meant to say. Have not been to Green Street since it changed ownership a few months ago. Also, the Sky Club I believe is called the Sky Box.
thats a rap !!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Shelly

Bob: How cruel are you & the other non-Mormons not to tell him that the dessert he ordered had alcohol in it? My sister is a recovering alcoholic and when my dumber than a rock sister-in-law gave her an alcohol-based appetizer, I let her know that she should pass. Why would you let him eat this? (And no I am not Mormon.)

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Bob

Shelly,
I let him order because I hated him since he was a total ass and I wanted to see him puke his guts out.

Seriously, I don't think any of us really thought to say anything, though we did think it odd. We did not know him that well except that he and the others were Mormons, and for all we knew he was not adverse to eating a dessert with alcohol in it - after all most of the actual alcohol is dissipated when the food is cooked you know - all that usually remains is the flavor not the actual booze. So, no, we were not being cruel or spiteful. His obscene reaction was totally unexpected and not called for at all. After that little experience I really did think that ol' Dave was a total ass!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:59 AM
karl

Bob, I don't know what is, but there is just something about you that I really like. I love it that you let him puke on you and the other dinner guests. Jolly good show old boy.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:45 AM
whywhy

Could someone explain the theology that maintains that alcohol, caffiene, etc is sinful? Why is it bad to use those but OK to have multiple wifes? Why is it bad to use those but condone the use of weapons to kill people? Why is it bad to use those but OK to limit what women are allowed to do?

Now, before all you Mormons flood the place with your faulty theology, I ain't buying it.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
dumb

What is a Mormon?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:25 AM
billy

A member of a cult that is based in Utah and sends out its members on recruiting trips...

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:45 AM
jimbo

what's with all of the hostility toward Mormons? if you don't like their religion, don't become one.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:51 PM
diane

Mormonism is not a cult. It's a Christian religion that has millions of members, more outside the U.S. than in the U.S. There are 16 members of Congress that are Mormons, not just from Utah, obviously. Some members of the church from Utah are a bit fanatical, which is why I wouldn't want to live there, though I find it hard to believe that anyone would react as strongly as the weird stories on this thread have indicated just because they accidentally "ate" liquor. God would judge us on our intent. I occasionally cook "carbonnade a la flamande" (with beer), though I know many of my church friends would frown on using alcohol in cooking. I was once served a pretty-looking dessert: ice cream with chocolate sauce and a delicate drizzle of something green on it. As soon as I took a bite, I knew it was alcoholic, but I wasn't positive, so I ate it all before I asked, then discovering that it was creme de menthe. Yum! That was 30 years ago and I haven't had creme de menthe since, but I didn't cry or pray in public or throw up (I just repented fast!).

We don't drink or smoke because we have been advised (more than 150 years ago) that it is not good for our health. As I have seen many friends (not Mormons) try to quit smoking, or quit with great difficulty, I have thought how lucky I was to know not to start. Everybody knows how much trouble can be caused by drinking, from drunk driving to aggravating health problems.

I think you will find that the Mormons in S.L.C. are not pushing their religion on the visitors at the Olympics. They are probably being considered particularly friendly and hospitable. Can anyone who is at the Olympics comment on this? Decent people, I mean, not Mormon haters.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:52 PM
maggie

Diane, are you being hypocritical or funny? (You weren't positive, so you ate it all before asking). What about the recent discovery that a glass of red wine is good for your health?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:05 PM
WildBill

Diane also forgets to say that Mormons were instructed that Caffeine was bad, but that multiple wifes, not husbands, was good. She also forgets to mention that you shouldn't work on Sundays, unless you are a Mormon football player. Oh yeah, how can you forget that you should require all young people to go out and "spread the word" and then wonder why everyone else thinks your religion is weird.... Mor(m)ons!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -