SAGUARO NATIONAL PARK

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Roxy

SAGUARO NATIONAL PARK

I will be in Phoenix next month and was thinking of taking a day and driving down near Tucson to the Saguaro National Park. Is it worth the trip down or are there places around Phoenix that have simular displays of the sanguaro cactus? If I do go to the national park, would I have time to visit the Sonora Desert Museum within the day's time?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:04 AM
peterb

Yes, it is worth the drive which I believe to be about 2+ hours from Phoenix. Saguaro West and the Desert Museum are just west of the highway (I-10) so you won't have any real city driving (enough of that in Phoenix) to do to get there. See the "TUCSON SIGHTSEEING" post below for more.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:13 AM
patg

The Saguaro requires specific conditions for growth that are not found in the Phoenix area. See
http://www.nps.gov/sagu/
for information. It would be a very long daytrip to drive down, tour the park and museum and drive back, but could be done.
However, if you have only one day, Sedona is nearer Phoenix and is a very beautiful area to visit.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:30 AM
steve

There are lots of saguaros in/near Phoenix. I would visit Papago Park and the Desert Botanical Gardens.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Emily

I have actually done this trip from Phoenix when there on business. The drive from the Phoenix airport to Tucson takes about 1 and 3/4 hours and is easy. There are places to stop along the way and some funky sights - the ostrich farms and some weird sculptures. It is well worth the trip, The Desert Museum is best visited very early in the morning - I think that they open by about 7 AM. The animals are most active in the early morning. Don't miss the hummingbird house!! You will see that while there are some giant cacti around Phoenix - nothing like what you will see in Tucson.Try to squeeze in some time seeing the Nat'l Park and visitor center. Enjoy!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Joan

My husband and I are from the UK and we visited this NP almost 2 years ago along with other simply stunning areas of the US South West, which we have grown to love.

Saguaro lives in my memory for its stark beauty, the 'dust-devils' sweeping across the desert floor. Also, we met some truly wonderful and hospitable folk in the Desert Museum who opened their homes to us and wined and dined us most readily, we only wish we had kept in touch to be able to reciprocate. We would not have missed the Tuscon/Suguaro experience for the world. But then, we adore America and have received nothing but hospitality and courtesy in the many time we have visited.

We're coming again in under 5 weeks, flying into Denver this time, for 3 weeks.

Very kind regards to all, Joan

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:38 PM
Peggi

The hummingbird house at the Desert Museum is closed at this time for renovation. I was heartbroken! However, the Desert Museum was wonderful and we were amazed at the number of helpful, informed docents - they're all over the place!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:52 PM
Marj

The Senora Desert museum in tucson is well worth the trip. In Phenonix be sure to visit Taliesin West (frank lloyd wright residence and school, now national historic landmark) if you have time.