safety of stuff in the trunk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to the Big Island in a month and are considering staying Kona, Volcano and Waikoloa. While in transit with our stuff in the trunk, we will want to stop at sights along the way. How safe will our stuff be? Are there any ideas how to make it safer?

I'm assuming Volcanoes NP is pretty safe and I've heard the Botanical Gardens parking lot is ok too. What about Punaluu (Black Sand Beach), Akaka Falls?

Should I try to make our car look more local by buying Hawaiian seat covers and some decals?

Thanks!
Kim
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Auto burglaries are more common in tourist parking areas than in others. The crooks know that there are more likely to be items of value in vehicles parked there than in the average vehicle. Sophisticated crooks also know it is less likely that a tourist victim will press charges or be available for court than would a local victim.

Two ways to lessen your risk: Never have luggage or other items visible in the interior of the vehicle. Never place the items you want to protect in the trunk after you have arrived at the tourist parking-put the stuff in the trunk before you get there.

Having said that, a professional auto burglar can pop a door lock or a trunk lock in less time than it took me to type this sentence. It only takes an experienced amateur a few moments more. To really lessen the risk, instead of parking in the tourist parking area, when it's possible, park in a shopping mall lot or a city parking garage and take a bus, taxi, or other transport to the tourist attraction. The rules above about visibility and trunks still apply.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM

"Are there any ideas how to make it safer?"
I always keep a piece of black fabric about 2 yards long in the car so I can lay it over anything I want hidden. Just make sure it has a matte finish so it doesn't reflect. If you look in through a tinted window, you can't see anything except blackness.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:06 PM

I would add to never leave anything in your car that would devestate you if it was stolen. I would never ever leave anything that couldn't be replaced. I stick by this rule whether at home or on vacation.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:49 AM
nkd

My sister had her shoes stolen from a trunk of her car when she went to Botanical Garden. She had nothing more in the trunk. I would never leave anything in the trunk while visiting Black Sand Beach, Akaka or anywhere else.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:04 AM

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a lot of cars get broken into at the Akaka Falls lot. You're out of sight of your car very quickly and there weren't many people there when we went. Seat covers and decals really won't hide the fact that it's a rental -- they stick out like sore thumbs (American, brand new, etc.).
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rental cars are very obvious, seat covers and decals won't help.

You could cable chain all the suitcases in the trunk together to make it more difficult for them to be removed?
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have decided not to chance ruining a wonderful vacation.

We will do an overnight in Volcano while leaving all our stuff at our condo in Kona, just taking a change of clothes and toiletries. The cost of a B&B is cheap insurance about not having to worry about our stuff and being able to have a more leisurely trip around the island.

Kim
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM

The one time I have had a car broken into was in Maui. They poped the lock out of the trunk. Nothing was in the car (I had hidden by wallet under the carpets). The rental car company tried to make me pay for the damage though. I turned it into my insurance company, and I don't know what happend after that. I suppose I would be responsible for the damage.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Passing this on from another poster says she's a local. First she brings a razor and scotch tape she scrapes the barcode off the windshield once off the rental car property than tapes back on before bringing it back. Haven't tried it personnelly but it's an idea. The best is if the hotel won't let you check in early is that they have a hospitality room you can put it.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:48 AM

About the only way you will avoid having yur car broken into is to go to Rent-A Wreck and find the rustiest, beat up car they have. Now you can stick decals, etc all over it and look just like a local. (tee-hee) I have heard that if you leave your car window part way down the theives won't touch your car. They know that anyone who leaves their car window part way down most likely won't have any valuables in the car.

These people are watching for tourists from some vantage point, so nothing you do except not leaving anything in your car will help.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM

I lived in Hawaii for two years, just got back to the Mainland. Our cars were very "local", and still got broken into occasionally. ONce all they got was a baseball cap and a bag which we left in plain sight open, empty and unzipped. My advice is to leave your doors unlocked, and take valuables with you. I learned that it saved me money on locks and new glass.