Safeco Field is beautiful

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:43 AM
bennie

Safeco Field is beautiful

Had the chance to catch a game at Safeco about a week and a half ago. This Red Sox/Fenway Park fan was blown away with this park. I loved watching a game here. Never knew watching a game could be so comfortable. Thought you had to suffer in too small seats with poles in your field of vision for baseball to be authentic. Baloney.

Safeco was clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, cheap seats offered great views, lots of opportunity to walk around to see game from all angles. Loved watching Billy Koch of the Oakland A's warm up - you get to stand right outside the bull pen about 4 ft from the pitchers. New found respect for batters after seeing a 99 mph fast ball that close up.

Fenway is old and has tradition but please build us a new park.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Wendy

Bennie, We just were in Boston from Seattle about 3 weeks ago and went to a game at Fenway. I was blown away by the history of your park but had to admit that coming home to Safeco was a treat.

Glad you had such a good time!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:28 AM
gail

We have been to Safeco, Pac-Bell, Skydome, Shea, and going to Camden Yards this summer.

I know Fenway has all the history - but I'll take any of these parks over Fenway for comfort. The seats actually face towards the field and there is not a thick layer of muck in the women's bathroom.

Maybe they can ship Fenway to Arizona and freeze it until they find a cure for it.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:35 AM
bennie

Gail - that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. And I'm totally jealous of all the parks you've been to. I make it to one park a year if I'm lucky.

As far as the parks go - I can't believe you would prefer SkyDome to Fenway. SkyDome was the epitome of what could go wrong if we built a new park here in Boston. That place has no soul. And what's with the astro turf in this day and age. The hotel thing is just a gimic. Safeco to me is the model for a new Fenway.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:50 AM
gail

Skydome IS a sterile mall-like atmosphere. I was just referring to comfort - the seats face the field, they have cup holders, your knees do not hit seat in front of you.

And the hotel is a gimic - we actually stayed there for 2 night and our kids thought it was cool. Rooms were fine, and we got to watch them open and close the roof, clean the seats with giant leaf blowers, watch batting practice. while we ate lunch.