Safe area near Hyatt Regency Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the area surrounding the Hyatt Regency Downtown Boston safe? At night? Mother/Daughter traveling in April. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Many people have disagreed on this subject in the past. I spend a good deal of time in the neighborhood at all hours. I don't think it is a tourist friendly area. Unless it is an amazing deal or you are going to see a show at the Opera House, you could do better as far as location.

As far as safety, it is certainly questionable, and I do not turn down an offer when someone walks me to my car. I've seen a lot in that neighborhood. As far as is it dangerous, well no, but it is not an inviting area either and there are plenty of transients in the area. I am comfortable and aware of my surroundings at all times to the extreme. But as a tourist in a different city, this is not the type of neighborhood I would want to spend my time in.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
yk

It's a safe area. Maybe not 15-20 years ago, but I feel safe there now.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM

We've stayed there many times and never felt unsafe. We've walked back at night from Copley, Boston Common, the Downtown Crossing T station.

It is very quiet at night and on weekends. You can always just take a taxi back at night. There's a doorman on duty at the drive up entrance.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM

You should be perfectly fine during the day and most after-dark hours. Strolling without purpose and destination alone in the area after the subway stops running (in other words, unless you're headed directly to or from an open restaurant in nearby Chinatown) between say 1AM to 5AM might perhaps not be the wisest idea. But then again you could pretty much say something similar about most urban situations at that hour.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
yk

Just want to get back to this post, as we had dinner last night (Sunday night) at BiNA Osteria on Washington Street, which is just diagonally across from the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

The improvement in that neighborhood from 10-15 years ago is dramatic. Back then, I didn't feel safe there, with boarded up store fronts and deserted streets.

Now, next to the restaurnat is the Boston Opera House, which is currently showing Dirty Dancing. Tons of people were attending the show last night. The other side of the restaurant is the Ritz Carlton; and another block away is the huge movie theatre on Tremont.

Unless, like bachslunch said, you are heading out at 3am, you don't have to worry about staying at the Hyatt.

P.S. the food at BiNA Osteria is fantastic!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

The neighborhood in front of the hotel is fine. The neighborhood toward the rear of the hotel is transitional (bit sketchy at night). If you are headed to the Opera House and the so called Ladder District, you're fine. I wouldn't venture near Downtown Crossing after dark personally.

When we stayed there we were just crossing the street to go to the Opera House.