Reload this Page >

Safe Area, Inexpensive Lodging in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Peggy

Please help me select the right hotel for a 2-night stay in San Francisco in February. We'll be stopping over on the way to Hawaii. Not being at all familar with the city's layout, etc., I have gotten some information from this board -- which of the following would be the preferred for 3 ladies (all over 55 but young at heart): 1) Essex Hotel, Ellis Street; 2) Grand Plaza, Grant Ave.; 3) The Metro, Divisadero Street; 4) Hotel Sheehan or Hotel Beresford on Sutter Street. Would like something clean, and like European-type accommodations. Thanks very much -- Need to make decision this week. Peggy

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:05 AM
stosh

The Beresford is the nicest and has good location. Grant Plaza would do, VERY tiny rooms but fine ,right on the edge of Chinatown so the location is interesting and should be cheaper than Beresford. Hotel Sheehan is the old YMCA so you have the pool and no problem with location. The Metro isn't as central. For your group I'd pass on Essex. If by European-type you'd include shared bath then I'd highly reccommend the San Remo Hotel in North Beach , great place and best location in the city. sanremohotel.com.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:27 PM
kam

The San Remo is a hotel we recommend a lot to young/budget travelers to SF. You won't have a TV, you will have a sink in your room, but the immaculate bath facilities are down the hall, the area is wonderful and perfectly safe and will remind you of somewhere in Italy---it's in North Beach, the old Italian neighborhood of SF with wonderful little restaurants and coffee houses. If you stay there, consider making reservations to see Beach Babylon Bingo, the long standing SF musical spoof which is great entertainment and would be walking distance to the San Remo. You could have dinner before at Moose's and make it a night. From North Beach you can easily access the cable car and can walk to the Embarcadero and all the piers and even down to Ghirardelli Square. A perfect area for your group if you can deal with the shared baths. If not, look in to the Tuscan Inn which is roughly in the same area. Otherwise, in your list originally, I would pick the Beresford on Sutter. HAve a great visit and enjoy Hawaii.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Peggy

Thanks for your replies. Actually, I stumbled upon the Andrews Hotel on Post Street somewhere on this Board, and I booked us there. I'm excited.

By the way, if any of you have any comments on the Andrews, I would be interested.

Thanks everyone
Peggy

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:05 AM
dougd

I've stayed at both the Andrews and the San Remo, both very nice places. I stayed at the Andrews about 10 years ago. It's a smallish elegant hotel in the heart of downtown (better location than the San Remo, in my opinion), but on a fairly quiet street. If you got a room there at a good price, you did very well!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Sandy

I have had friends that stayed at the Andrews and loved it. I've also eaten at Fino's the Italian restaurant in the hotel on ground level and it was very good. The location is excellent. I think you'll have a great time.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:17 AM
xyz

Safe and inexpensive in San Francisco? Now that's an oxymoron!!