Reload this Page >

safe and affordable hostels/hotels in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:25 AM
Jennifer

Hi, I am planning a spring trip to NY city and I want to stay in the city but know that is expensive so I am looking at hostels. The accomodations would be for two girls in their late twenties so we want something clean and safe but we don't have tons of money to spend either or we would stay at one of the many four stars in the city. PLease help with any experiences or knowledge you might have.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Rachel

Try the YMCAs, YWCA, YHCAs-good rates, some even have pools. also try my old favorie-quikbook.com for good deals. Priceline also has even better deals than quikbook but you pay up front so if you need to cancel or change dates, you're out of luck

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Merilee

Hi Jennifer...there's a place called the Leo House at 332 West 23rd Street (212)929-1010...it's run by the Sisters of St. Agnes, but don't worry you may come and go as you please...maximum stay is 2 weeks and you need a reservation which will require a deposit...you can also have breakfast here (which includes homemade bread) for a small fee...there's also International Hostel at 891 Amsterdam Avenue at West 103rd Street (212)932-2300...this is located in a busy area of the upper west side just a few blocks away from Columbia University, Cathedral of St. John the Divine, and a hospital affiliated with St. Luke's...the public transportation in this area is very good to all areas of the city...you would be one block away from Broadway...since it's near the college there are many restaurants, clubs, and bookstores...there's another placed called the International House and it's on Riverside Drive (212)316-8436...many foreign students and professors stay here...2 very reasonably priced hotels that come to mind are the Wolcott on West 31st Street (212)268-2900 and the Salisbury on West 57th Street (212)246-1300...if you want more details on neighborhoods post back.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM
Tony

We stayed at the Beacon on 75th and Broadway last week for $145 a night. The rooms have stove, refrigerator, and microwave so you can cook your own food from the great market across the street. A good way to save on costs. We will stay there again. I hope soon!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Kathleen

I have stayed at Leo House and it is very reasonable. It is not very fancy but it is clean. We were a mother and daughter and were very satisfied with it. They have a really nice Sunday brunch too.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:57 PM
Alan

A couple of months ago we got a room for the four of us at the Madison for $85, including breakfast at the diner next door. It's not the cheapest place in the city, but the location is good (just a stroll from the Empire State and Macy's) and the area is safe. We almost booked the Broadway on 101st St for $39, but were told it's a run-down area. When we checked it out on one of our walks, it looked okay, but on the whole we were glad we spent a little extra and got the Madison. By the way, the $85 rate was not available on the internet; we rang them direct after a recommendation from a respondent on this forum.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:14 PM
lisa

Try the Habitat Hotel on 57th near 3rd Ave. It's new -- so not too dingy -- tourist class hotel. They have rooms for around $120, cheaper if you don't mind a shared bath. Website at www.habitatny.com.

Another option is the Pickwick Arms on 51st between 2nd & 3rd Aves. My parents stayed there during my wedding. They have small, clean, inexpensive rooms for around $100-125. They even have singles.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:27 PM
xxxx

Stayed at the Days Inn Midtown in Manhattan this past week. $89 rate through Quikbook. Great location for Broadway shows. Near Times Square. Safe location, rooms are large and clean. Has hair dryer and iron and ironing board. I think it may also have a rooftop pool. Also parking is $20 per day. Leave car and walk. Lots of things close by. Have fun.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:56 PM
thereuare

If you are sure of your dates and that you are coming, you can (probably) get a 4* hotel in a good area of NYC for $80-100/nite thru Priceline (don't know if that is in your budget or not).

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com to see what others have gotten as well as bidding advice.