safe airplanes

Nov 16th, 2001, 11:43 AM
tina

safe airplanes

With the recent crash in nyc I realize that not all airplanes are built the same. Does anyone know which airplanes are the safest and which have the worst safety record?

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Hmmm

I believe the A300 airbus has a good safety record, until now. It's crashed before (5 times, I think) but all due to pilot error.

An airplane is deemed safe until it crashes and then it's no longer safe. Then it's modified and made safe again. So which is better to fly, a heretofore safe model which has never crashed but may be 'due', or a formerly unsafe model (DC-10, MD-80, 737) which has been modified and is safe once again? This is a question for the great mystics. Or the Dalai Lama. Or Leone.

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Merilee

Crashdatabase.com has the information you are looking for.

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:09 PM
L

Tina, I suggest you access www.NTSB.gov, and do some basic research on your own. Crashes are unique events. To compare plane A with plane B will not illuminate anything useful for you. How do you factor is or out terrorist or suspected terrorist acts? Airline management practices? Aircraft operator behaviors? And so forth. Is it your goal to use this yet to be discovered data in making airline trip decisions? Why don't you just select the best color scheme and go with that? But first, and I do mean first, find out which cars are safest ... for that really extremely risky segment of your journey ... the trip to the airport. Ciao

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Leone

Hmmmm, I hope you're reading my response, since you opened the door. On a personal note, I'd appreciate it if you trucked your ire over to another poster and dumped it there ... I'm not aware I've suggested we communicate, even indirectly. Have a good weekend. Ciao