Search

Sacramento and Arnold, CA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM
eb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacramento and Arnold, CA

My husband and I plan to spend a couple of nights in Sacramento and then go to the Mountain Retreat condos in Arnold, CA. for 7 nights in February. Any suggestions re where to stay in Sacramento, what to see and do, where to eat, etc., will be greatly appreciated. Also, any info re what to do and see around Arnold would be great! I know we plan to snowmobile, see the Big Tree State Park, and maybe go to Yosemite. Also, suggestions re restaurants around there would be appreciated! Thanks, eb from Texas
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Well - we've pretty much covered the Arnold bit.

Sacramento has a LOT more choices of places to stay/eat. Don't know your budget - but towards the higher end the Embassy Suites is right on the river next to Old Sacramento, the Stirling Hotel is really more of a posh B&B with an award winning restaurant, and the Sheraton Grand is a new city-center hotel.

Also a nice treat would be the Delta King - it is a permanently moored paddle wheeled steamer that is a hotel and restaurants. The rooms are small - being riverboat staterooms - but it is in the middle of Old Sac and is walking distance to most of the tourist sites.

If you want to stay outside the center (and therefore have free parking) -- we have all the usual chains - Double Tree, Hilton, etc, etc

there are MANY good places to eat - the Rio City Cafe in old Sacramento, the Esquire Grill next to the Sheraton, Paragary's, Cafe bernardo, and a hundred others. There is a concentration of good restaurants - everything from tapas, to mexican, to carribean, to Italian, to chop houses, to british pubs, to you name it - in mid-town. That is an area generally from 16th to 30th streets along J and K streets.

Or - Any of the Fat family places (Frank Fat's, California Fats, Fat City). Frank Fats is an upscale chinese restaurant that is a 60 year old Sacramento institution near the Capitol, the other two are in Old Sacramento and have "California cuisine" in really nice surroundings.

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 02:12 PM
eb
Original Poster

janis, Thanks again for helping me! Great suggestions - I will definitely check out the Embassy Suites and the Delta King. Appreciate the restaurant tips too. We plan to just "hang out" around the Old Sacramento area while there, unless you have any other tips for sightseeing. I went to the Napa Valley with some female friends last October and I enjoyed our "too short" overnight stay in Sacramento more than I did the rest of the trip. I really liked the downtown area - neat atmosphere! Thanks again for your help! eb from Texas
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 03:12 PM

A day trip from Arnold to Yosemite Valley is possible depending on the weather. It will be about 200 miles round trip via Hwy's 4, 49 & Hwy 120. It's a lot closer than from Sacramento. If you could possibly swing one night in Yosemite Valley I'm sure you would really enjoy it.

Hwy 120 into Yosemite gets pretty high elevation and can close if there is a lot of snow. Just watch the weather report and go on a nice clear day. You are supose to carry chains in the park during the winter.

Utahtea
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:06 PM

I agree with all of Janis's suggestions. I have stayed all over Sacramento on business.

Embassy Suites is a predictably nice place.

The Sheraton Grand is also nice and is in the heart of the city only 2 blocks from the capitol and a ton of great resturaunts.

I personally love the Delta King. Get a room on the river side though or you will only have a view of the underside of the dock. It is in the best location in Old Sacramento and each room has a different layout. It is and OLD boat with lots of quirks but that is the charm. I also like the Pilothouse resturaunt right on the boat. They have a website and if you are there on the right day, you can attend their murder mystery dinner. The staff is very nice and they have an adorable bar with outside seating that overlooks the water. Oddly enough, the Delta King is also cheaper than the others. The last 2 times I was there it was $99 per night.

If you like a good burger, check out Fanny Anne's in Old Sacramento - very good!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM

lahainaluna's info is good. Just one very small clarification: "Get a room on the river side though or you will only have a view of the underside of the dock" - Since you are going in the winter and the river will likely be running high this won't be a problem. But as she says, the river-side of the boat is better.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:25 PM
eb
Original Poster

Thanks to ALL for the great advice! We've changed our itinerary - will be going on to Arnold for 7 nights and then returning to stay in Sacramento for 3 nights instead of 2 - just have to try to get those restaurants checked out! Will also try to spend a night at Yosemeite (any suggestions where???) Thanks again. eb from Texas
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:48 PM

eb,

Stay in Yosemite Valley. Depending on your pocket book. The most expensive will be the Ahwahnee hotel. The Yosemite Lodge will be cheaper. There are also cabins at Curry Village but make sure you get one with a heater since you are going in Feb. You really shouldn't have any problems getting reservations for Feb.

Check out Yosemite's new web site:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodges2c...D=22&PageID=36

If you want to see what Yosemite looks like in Feb. check out my website. We were there for Valentines day and I've got pictures

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/death_valley_trip.htm

Utahtea
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I have never ever had trouble getting lodging in Yosemite in February. hardly anyone is there. Stay in the Yosemite Lodge.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM
eb
Original Poster

Thank you! Thank you! I know you may be tired of me "picking your brains" - but ... We have to check out of the Mountain Retreat in Arnold the morning of the 28th. If we drive down to Yosemite that day, would you recommend spending one night at Yosemite and then two nights in Sacramento? or...two nights in Yosemite and one in Sacramento?
Will definitely check out those websites! Thanks again for the great information! eb from Texas
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:30 PM

If it were me I would spend two nights in Yosemite but then as most people can probably tell, I'm not a city person.

If you spend two nights in Yosemite you could check out early the last morning and make it to Sacramento and that will give you almost two days there.

Utahtea
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:05 PM

I agree w/ utahtea. Sacramento has enough to fill 3 or 4 days - BUT it is not a one-of-a-kind scenic wonderland.

Take your time in Yosemite - leaving Arnold early in the morning you will be in Yosemite Valley in 2 hours or less - well before lunch time. You will have more than enough time to see all of the valley and maybe even go up to the Badger Pass ski area.

After 2 nights there, leave the valley early in the AM and you will be in downtown Sacramento in about 2 or 2.5 hours. Perfect timing to miss the rush hour traffic.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:47 AM
eb
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea and Janis! That's the way we will plan our trip! And Utahtea, your photos were fantastic. Thanks for sharing! eb from Texas