S.O.S.: need Washington DC suggestions in case of continued shutdown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Washington DC for six nights to help a friend celebrate her 88th birthday on February 1. We planned to have a museum feast, which we were really looking forward to. The immigration issues that seem to be blocking a budget solution arouse such strong feelings on both sides that I am afraid that it could be sometime before an agreement will open things again.

Besides the Phillips Museum and events at the Kennedy Center (which I've read will be performed as scheduled), can you all help with ideas of what to do with our time? Neither of us is interested in basketball.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 08:51 PM
kja

I'm sorry you (and all of us!) have to put up with this dilemma!

Your options include any of the private collections, which should be listed in any decent guidebook. Examples:
Dunbarton Oaks:
https://www.doaks.org
the Hillwood Estate:
https://www.hillwoodmuseum.org
the Newseum
Newseum | There's more to every story.
etc.

Keep your eye on the Smithsonians -- I think there's an effort to keep them open, even if with limited staff.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As someone whose livelihood is directly impacted by a Fed shutdown, I hope this mess is settled long prior to the date of your visit. Here are some more suggestions for places which will be operating regardless. You'll want to check their websites for opening days & times, etc.

Mount Vernon
National Building Museum
National Museum of Women in the Arts
Folger Shakespearean Library
Washington National Cathedral
National Geographic Museum
Spy Museum
President Lincoln's Cottage
Textile Museum
Octagon House
Heirioch House
Woodrow Wilson House

At the moment there is a lot of confusion about what might or might not be opened on the National Mall but if the shutdown extends longer than a couple of days, I'd assume that the obvious targets of interest will be closed -- and perhaps be pleasantly surprised if that isn't the case. Not the way anyone wants to plan a trip.

Wishing the best for your visit.

Last edited by obxgirl; Jan 21st, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Heirloch House should be Heurich House
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 08:00 PM

Hillwood is terrific.

also consider going to Philadelphia- the Mutter Museum is private and fantastic. Reading Terminal Market for lunch!

ideas from 2013:

DC Tourist Sites Open During Shutdown - Business Insider

Good luck. I can’t imagine being in DC during a shut down. ETA: so hope it’s over by then. My dad’s a federal employee and he’s driving my mom bonkers. 2 weeks was too darn long for her last time.

Last edited by marvelousmouse; Jan 21st, 2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 08:10 PM
kja

marvelousmouse has given an interesting idea! Philadelphia is within day-tripping distance of DC, and its major museums -- including the wonderful Philadelphia Museum of Art -- are likely to be unaffected by any shut-down that occurs.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 08:59 PM

Head over to Old Town Alexandria and visit the Torpedo Factory.
It is a huge old munitions building that was adapted for use as an arts building. It houses galleries and studios.
After the visit, wander the shops in old town and have lunch at one of the many little restaurants there.
Overview | Torpedo Factory Art Center

If it is open, perhaps a play at Ford Theater.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Head over to Old Town Alexandria and visit the Torpedo Factory.
It is a huge old munitions building that was adapted for use as an arts building. It houses galleries and studios.
After the visit, wander the shops in old town and have lunch at one of the many little restaurants there.
Overview Torpedo Factory Art Center

If it is open, perhaps a play at Ford Theater.

oh, yes. Loved the torpedo!

Also the staebler Leadbeater apothecary museum. Truly fascinating.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 06:46 AM

Per the website, the Smithsonian is open today.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:30 AM

I wouldn't go all the way to/from Philadelphia for that reason. First the main art museum isn't even near the train stop. Second, if the goal is to see non-Federal museums, there are plenty of places to see in DC itself without doing that. So it doesn't seem to solve anything and would take up time and money. If anything, I'd think it would make more sense to go to Baltimore as it is closer and has a good art museum, also.

Of course the Kennedy Center has nothing to do with the government, nor does any of the theaters or performing arts spaces.

In addition to all those things named above (I'd especially cite the Phillips, Hillwood, Dumbarton Oaks, and Newseum), if you have German heritage, the German-American History museum is private, of course, it's run by the German govt, I believe (or one of its cultural arms). It's in Penn Qtr. Fords Theater is open for a tour aside form the performances.

The Kreeger art museum is also privately owned, but it's not in the center of the city.

I think for federal employees, it's sort of a paid vacation, as they have always gotten back pay during these things but don't have to work. Fiscally, it's a terrible way to manage your budget, of course, paying for work you aren't getting.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:47 AM

Baltimore has two fine, free museums, the Walters and the BMA, which both have wonderful collections.
The Visionary Arts Museum and Evergreen House are both very interesting.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 11:28 AM

I wouldn't suggest leaving DC, either, as much as I love the museums in Philly in particular. If you combine obx and kja's lists with the suggestion of Old Town Alexandria, you have more than enough to fill a week.

I'd highlight the Phillips Collection; Hillwood; Mount Vernon; Lincoln's Cottage; the National Cathedral; and the Newseum.

Dumbarton Oaks is wonderful, but the gardens will be dismal on February 1.

An off-the-beaten path suggestion: visit the Andersen House, home of the Society of the Cincinnati, for a rich slice of American history.
http://www.societyofthecincinnati.or...2E4539B7C3DA81

Last edited by NewbE; Jan 22nd, 2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Add info
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you can rest easy. A deal has been struck.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these great ideas! I've been out of town and offline taking a friend for a surprise overnight outing to Monterey for her 60th birthday (Point Lobos, followed by a late lunch and surprise visit from her daughter who goes to UC Santa Cruz, sleeping to sound of ocean and two hours at the Monterey Aquarium). I got the first two posts before I left and sent them on to my discouraged Washington trip friend, who was heartened by them. We will work to fit some of these ideas into our now (hopefully) freed up itinerary.

BTW, Mount Vernon (which I've always wanted to see but never visited) has been "chiuso per restauro" ("closed for restoration" as the Italians too frequently say) totally independently of the shut down.