Search

S'Frisco July 4th

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S'Frisco July 4th

Planning on making a trip to San Francisco over the July 4th weekend.. the ticket prices are sky high on the flights but in keeping with my late planning binge I am on.. trying to plan a trip for that. Plan to arrive on June 30th and leave on the 4th afternoon. putting in as much to-do's as we can Want to visit Monterey/Carmel, Yosemite, and see Fisherman's Wharf etc in San Francisco. We're flyin into SJC.. and planning on renting a car Can the gurus out there help us out with an itinerary.

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You may have to forget about Yosemite. Rooms of course are already booked - but even just entering the Park may be impossible - or at least REALLY long lines at the gates.

Have you booked anything anywhere? Because Carmel is pretty busy that weekend too (though not nearly as crowded as Yosemite) Anyplace still w/availability may have as much as a 3 night minimum that weerkend.

San Francisco isn't really full up over the 4th so your best bet may be to spend the whole time in the city.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
trippinkpj

Yes, you may have a better chance with lodging in the city. Or part of the time in Los Gatos (15 minutes from SJC), which is an easy distance to Monterey/Carmel for day trips.

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on stayin in Carmel/monetery area on Sat. Spend time in San Francisco on Sun/Mon and return on Tuesday. we haven't made any reservations.. we are hoping to rent a car just for 1 day for the drive from carmel to san francisco and big sur and then return car at sfo or are there rentals in the city we can return to? Planning on walkin/trolleys the rest of the time is that reasonable? Should we stay in Carmel or is stayin in Los gatos and day trip to carmel give us enough time to see the sights?
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM

Many places along the coast have 2 night minimums on weekends in the summertime, and for holiday weekends there are often 3 night minimums. Hotel availibility and restrictions will probably be your limiting factor when planning your itinerary.

If you can stay in Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove, then go for it. Los Gatos is a nice place and reasonably close to the area for a day trip.

Traffic will be thick, so plan extra time for all your drives. There will be a lot of people on the roads.

When in SF, you wont need a car. For trips out of SF, you will. There are plenty of car rental agencies in SF, so you don't have to go out to the airport to rent a car. In fact, due to airport taxes, renting at the airport is generally the most expensive place to rent anyway.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What J_Correa said. Any summmer weekend in Carmel most nice places (and even the not so nice ones) have a 2 night minimum and over the 4th very likely 3 nights.

I would book something ASAP -- like yesterday. And your plan B should be to spend the entire time in SF.

Traffic in the Carmel/Monterey area and from the South Bay to Santa Cruz will be heavy that weekend
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, check out Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal outside of the park, usually Expedia has rooms available under $200.

This hotel is on the Merced river, beautiful place, and a shuttle to Yosemite Valley (don't remember the shuttle is free or not).
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

I found rooms here for that weekend, but am debating whether I'll have time to go and see it. should i stay in san francisco and monterey or should I sneak in a visit to yosemite.. I am torn...!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM

You have such a short time that I would stick with the coast. You'll find plenty to do in San Francisco and Monterey.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:59 PM

I think Highway 140 is closed into Yosemite due to a rock slide. They say is will be closed for some time so you might want to double-check before you plan on driving along that route.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM

Scouring, I live in San Francisco, and I know that I couldn't possibly accomplish all that you want to do in that short period of time.

Out of curiousity, where are you coming from? If this is your first trip here, as it sounds like it is. I would suggest that you stick around the City itself, maybe taking one day to go to Carmel/Monterey if you feel that you absolutely have to go there. It will be a long and full day, with lots of traffic, but if you leave SF early and return late, it can be done in one day.

Why not save that beautiful area for another trip. There is so much to see and do in SF and you wouldn't be on the road and changing hotels every night.

Three days in any major city, especially one as diverse and beautiful as SF, isn't nearly long enough, so use the time wisely, relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Get your reservations, car included, NOW. Your choices at this late date will be limited.

Enjoy your trip.

Nina

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

its my first trip, we are leaving at the end of the year and I didnt want to miss Yosemite. I've heard so much about it.. but we are planning on doing what nina suggested.. we're going to do yosemite.. drive in from reno . that'd beanother day another post.. right now.. we've kinda decided on san francisco and monterey. We're flying into SFO on fri late night.. and flying out of San Jose on tue noon, so we're planning on staying in san francisco sat/sun and then driving into monterey ( staying in los gatos) on Monday.. or should we drive in Sun night? and then leaving out of San Jose on Tuesday. Wife found somewhere where we could go to golden gate bridge and rent a bike to ride it. so that's one thing we're planning on doing. any suggestions on some other things to cramp in to the two days in sf and day in monterey?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
trippinkpj

If you do state in Los Gatos, I really like the Garden Inn. Also Los Gatos Hotel and the Tollhouse Hotel are nice also. See Los Gatos lodging website:
http://www.losgatos.com/hotels/index.html
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I just came back from there. Check out my trip report.