Vacation in Arkansas

Search

Vacation in Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation in Arkansas

We are going to be going on vacation in Arkansas this year. Does anyone have any favorite caves or places to dig for crystals. We are also looking for water parks and any fun place.
Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:33 AM
jcb

I don't know if these are the kind of caves you are looking for, but I like Blanchard Springs Caverns. Haven't been their in years, but it's kind of far away from any larger city.

http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jcb!
This cave looks good!
Anyone have any hotel recomedations or anything else in Arkansas?
Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM

There's a water park in North Little Rock called Wild River Country. If you go after 4 p.m., you get in for half price (it's called "night water" but it won't be dark until 8 or later). It's a nice sized park but you can easily do all the water rides in a few hours. I would recommend going after 4.

In Hot Springs, there's an amusement park with a water park inside called Magic Springs/Crystal Falls. It's supposed to be fun and you can do both in one day, from what I've been told. Hot Springs also has several lakes in the area if you like boating, water skiing, etc. There are hotels around Lake Hamilton, also camping or condo rentals. In downtown Hot Springs, there are old bath houses. One is still working, if you want to enjoy a hot bath, massage, etc. You can also tour another former bath house to see what it was like back when originally open (maybe in the 20's or so??).

Little Rock has the Clinton Presidential Library, which is quite an attraction now. There's also the River Market District--food vendors, some shops and restaurants, etc.

Both Hot Springs and N. Little Rock/Little Rock are in the central part of the state and not very far from one another (45 minutes to an hour).

If you want to dig for diamonds, there's a state park in Murfesboro--Crater of Diamonds Park (I think that's what it's called). This is more in the southwestern part of the state.

In the northern part of the state, lots of people enjoy the Buffalo River. You can rent canoes and camp along this area. I haven't done that since I was a kid, so I'm not sure how to get those accommodations arranged.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee4!!!
I'll have to tell my husband about the after 4 discount that's great! We are going to go dig for diamonds and find somewhere to dig for crystals that's not too expensive. Then maybe we can rent a conoe.
Thanks!!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM

Lee4 had a good answer but I can add a little more detail. There are lots of quartz crystal mines in the Hot Springs-Mt. Ida area where you can do your own mining. However, I think you need to take your own tools and you'll want waterproof boots. A popular mine in our area is Ron Coleman's on Highway 7 North, just past Hot Springs Village. Acres of Diamonds State Park is closer to Texarkana but anyone can dig there--check out the state park website on what you'll need to bring.

We have season tickets to Magic Springs (and we're retired seniors). DH loves the roller coasters and every Saturday night we go to a free concert in the amphitheater (free with your admission, either day or season). Last week we saw Kenny Rogers; this Saturday night it's The Commodores. Check the website for the schedule. Then go on a Saturday so you can enjoy the waterpark and rides during the day and take in the concert at night.

Also, don't forget about the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock--even kids would enjoy seeing the Oval Office and some of the displays.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Happytourist!!!
Do you know if you can buy seperate tickets for the water park in case my family just wants to do that all day? I looked it up and didn't see a price for it.
Wrote the Coleman mine on my list - Thanks!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

No, the water park is integrated into the amusement park, so it's all one ticket. We're going tonight to hear The Commodores. Did you check the concert schedule? Amazing value!

Here's the website for the Coleman mine: http://www.colemanquartz.com/. Check the FAQs for more information.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info Happytourist!!!