Memorial Day Family Vacation Recs?

Mar 8th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Memorial Day Family Vacation Recs?

I'm looking for somewhere interesting to bring my parents (in their 60's) for Memorial Day Weekend. Departing out of San Francisco, CA. Since we only have 3 days we cannot go very far - wiling to fly or drive. If possible my 5 months pregnant sister and their 4 year old daughter would come along as well.
Any ideas?
Mar 8th, 2018, 07:54 PM

Monterey/Carmel, Santa Cruz, Lake Tahoe, Gold Country, Fort Bragg/Mendocino, Redwood National Park, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach...lots of good choices within fairly easy driving distance.
Mar 9th, 2018, 07:47 AM

For only 3 days (is that 3 or 4 nights?), I would just stay in San Francisco. Driving anywhere more than 1 hour away with 5 people in one car would be problematic and time consuming if you also need to rent a car.

You said "someone" is flying out of San Francisco. Where is "someone" flying into? Do you currently live in San Francisco & have a car that will accommodate 5?

Three days is not much time. If it's really only 2 1/2 days in the area - I would certainly not go to Monterey/Carmel, Tahoe, Mendocino, etc. Those are all at least 1-2 night events - 1 night if you just want to sniff the air, and 2 nights if 5 people want to enjoy seeing/visiting interesting places in Carmel/Monterey, for example.

Find something to do here:
San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations

Stu Dudley
Mar 9th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Over Memorial day weekend, places to stay in Carmel/Monterey & possibly most other areas will require a 2 night minimum stay.

Stu Dudley
Mar 9th, 2018, 10:36 AM

San Diego/La Jolla is nice with lots to do - Balboa Park, the Aquarium, Children's Pool, the Cove, Padres baseball games if they're in town, Coronado, and lots of good outdoor restaurants with pretty views.
Mar 9th, 2018, 11:16 AM

I don't think San Diego is realistic if someone is departing from SFO.

Stu Dudley
Mar 9th, 2018, 03:19 PM

They said they're willing to fly.
Mar 9th, 2018, 04:16 PM

That's a waste of time & money for perhaps 6 people including a 4 YO & -4 month old. They would likely have to make 2 flights if they are starting their trip in SF & ending it there too.

Stu Dudley
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley View Post
That's a waste of time & money for perhaps 6 people including a 4 YO & -4 month old. They would likely have to make 2 flights if they are starting their trip in SF & ending it there too.

Stu Dudley
Where did the 4 month old come from all of a sudden? OP mentioned parents and possibly a sister who is pregnant with her 4 year old daughter. Nothing about a 4 month old.

Similarly, where did the OP say they were flying into San Francisco? "Departing out of San Francisco" is not the same as "We are flying into SFO and going somewhere from there".

San Diego is a good choice with a lot to do, short and relatively cheap flight from SFO.
Mar 9th, 2018, 06:29 PM

Read again. MINUS 4 months old = 5 months pregnant. Maybe I should not have tried to be cute.

Read again. I stated IF they are starting into SF. The OP didn't state where they all came from. I asked in an earlier post - but the OP has not replied.

Flying from SD to SF will consume at least 5-6 hrs from the time the group (usually difficult to get a group moving) packs, checks out of the hotel, drives to the airport, returns the car(s) and gets to the terminal 2 hrs before the flight. The flight is probably 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Then deplaning, perhaps retrieving bags, renting a car or taking taxi to SF or airport hotel, checking into a hotel, and unpacking. Actually - it may be closer to 6 hrs.

And all that for visiting San Diego and not SF & surrounds. I still would not recommend SD if the OP & group lives outside of Calif and could all fly into SD. If they sere flying home from SD - sure.

Stu Dudley
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:09 PM

I like the idea of San Diego too. Would be fun to go to the beach with a four year old and watch her play in the sand.

OP, you mentioned SFO, but how close are you to San Jose Airport? Smaller airport than SFO. Might be a little easier to maneuver with your group. But if it's further away, stick with SFO. From either airport, consider Alaskan Airlines. We have had such good luck with their ontime arrivals.

​​​​​

​​​​​​
Mar 12th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the suggestions! My parents live in SF so that is the nearest airport if we were flying out. It sounds like a close road trip might be the way to go. I like your ideas @november_moon - I will have to research those further! Carmel would be nice. Tahoe is always very beautiful. Going north to Mendocino sounds nice too. Where are all the beautiful spring wildflowers?

I was secretly hoping somebody might say portland or santa fe... but sadly those are probably not realistic in such a short time frame... next time.
Mar 12th, 2018, 10:22 PM

You could get on an Amtrak bus out of San Francisco about 7:30AM to Emeryville to get on the California Zephyr shortly after 9AM. The CZ is in Truckee about 2:30 PM. Some people ride the CZ to Reno for some gambling too.
Mar 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Memorial Day may be iffy for spring flowers along the coast - depends on how wet the spring is. Some times late May has plenty of flowers, but sometimes they are drying up (or dried up) by then. It's mid-March now and we've got lots of flowers on the coast already. The Sierras will be your best bet for spring flowers in late May since spring comes later there.
Mar 19th, 2018, 11:14 AM

If you want to do day trips (I am thinking of the 4-year-old), go to Safari West in Santa Rosa. You can stay there overnight also. Swing to Sonoma to take a ride in TrainTown.
Mar 23rd, 2018, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

@tomfuller that's a great idea! I wasn't aware of the California Zephyr but now I am considering it for a longer trip

@novembermoon - I like your idea about the Sierras. didn't realize the flowers are already popping on the coast

@dayenu - thanks for sharing about safari west and train town - I didn't know about them but they look like a lot of fun!

Last edited by travelpuppy; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Mar 23rd, 2018, 06:27 PM

I'd probably head to the Gold country. Visit Columbia, do some wine tasting (except for your sister) in Murphys, see the big trees at Calaveras Big Trees State Park... There might still be wildflowers along Hwy 49 but the rivers should be full and spectacular.
May 18th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I'd probably head to the Gold country. Visit Columbia, do some wine tasting (except for your sister) in Murphys, see the big trees at Calaveras Big Trees State Park... There might still be wildflowers along Hwy 49 but the rivers should be full and spectacular.
what a fun wonderful idea! Definitely putting this on the to-do list. Thank you! =)

Search this Thread